Shipping from Japan

ozting

Well-Known Forum User
Has anyone had experience of shipping whole cars from Japan? I was inspired by a previous thread & the Rocky Auto's website in Japan. They seem to have some really good 240's ZG's there. (aware they are hybrids):driving:

can tell you exchange rate kak and keep big tub of vaseline handy for the duty/tax you'll pay over here.

Ideally you need someone you can trust in Japan to assess the chosen car carefully and to get it and the relevant paperwork to one of the regular RO-RO ships at the docks that do the rounds to Europe.
You need a good handler at this end who will deal with the paperwork required for import. I can recommend 1st Penguin Shipping at Southampton who have been seamless for the few cars I've imported. You either collect from the dock yourself or some, like 1st Penguin, will provide relatively cheap transport to your door (the last one I did cost £150 from Southampton to Brentwood - couldn't hire a trailer, take a day off work and pay the fuel for less than that!).
You then need to get an MOT which will allow you to register the car and get a number plate issued by DVLA. Make sure that you get all the relevant documents with the car.
DVLA will issue a pack of forms and information (Import Pack) on request here:

https://www.dvla.gov.uk/dvla/onlineservices/order_forms.aspx?ext=dg

and read about importing here (disregard the regs for newer vehicles, you won't need an ESVA on a Z...yet):

Registering an imported vehicle : Directgov - Motoring

Back