Salt lorries

Zbirdy

Well-Known Forum User
Useless info I know, but it just entered my retarded little mind that;

Im so enjoying my 240 at the moment, even though its not running perfectly, she goes to work with me on the days that its not too misted up to warrant drying all the glass before take off.

Just hope that the salt lorries dont start too early this year, then it stays at home.
Don.

Do many others use their cars regularly, older models that is?

I drove a 260 for the last two years come rain or shine and didn't have any problems' except as you say with the window mist problem. Also had to get a set of decent tyres to avoid sliding round every corner! I now have a 240 in considerably better condition and am debating wether to keep driving all year round. I don't doubt that salt is going to have a detrimental effect, but is a bit of mud and water going to hurt? The worst experience I've had has been on the motorway driving a car so low to the ground, when a four foot wave came over the bonnet causing some distress to my female passenger. I'm pleased to say we emerged unharmed.

Geoff

had to laugh, sorry. (about the wave).
Yeh can be a bit airy on the motorway. Im not so keen on the salt though, having spent so much on the car, but i do agree that unless you want to sit and look at your car, and continually polish the engine bay, (how silly) then you shouldnt worry about mud and rain too much. Drive it. Just as long as you clean up underneath with a good jet washing now and then, pref on a warm day. (he hears the perfectionists crying and reaching for the keyboard).

I drive my 260 whenever I can. BUT, really, it isn't too great in the wet. I worry about the rust of course, but it's mainly about misting up, no ABS, back-end lairiness, crappy headlights and the rest. And it stays in the garage if there's so much as a hint of road-salt!

Up until a recent job change I used my car as a daily driver for two and a half years, clocking up over 50K ---- so for two and a half years I arrived at my destination with a huge smile on my face no matter what:D :D :D . Now I work over 45 miles away from home so the Zed sits in the garage more:( . Still I have very fond memorys of the journey, one in particular of catching and killing an M3 up a very long, very steep hill -- the look on pinstripe mans face was priceless;) for all other things there's mastercard.

I dont get the chance to use my Z32 much. I have the Volvo aswell which is much more comfortable for the wife so when, on the rare occasion I am home from work I use that more often. But and it is a big BUT! it does make the times when I drive the 300 more special. I guess I am lucky to have a choice. :)

Smile factor has to be the biggest plus.
Tony, I had an auto electrician wire in a relay system on my 240, along with some fancy bulbs, and my headlamps went from , basically....CRAP, to like a new car......... cost me very little, this guy, knows everything about older cars.

But hey... Misty coloured moonshine or what, everyday at the moment, cant see a dicky bird. But i do have a 70s stick on heated Rr window to put on, hopefully that will help.

Don.

Hi Don,

I've got a relay set-up too. It'll be great when I actually get around to transferring it from my garage work-top into the car!

Tony

Right, come on mate. Winters almost here, SHORT DARK DAYS, and all that time off over xmas. It makes sense. serioisly, I couldnt believe the I though it would improve them slightly, but was amazed at the difference.

Good luck Tony.
Don.

Back