resonanceeeeeeeeeeee

Sam_C

Club Member
Since I put my sooper-dooper custom stainless exhaust on, the drone, boom, resonance - call it what you will - especially around 2 - 3K RPM or when the engine is labouring a bit (uphill 5th for example) is too noisy for comfort. I had en extra box put in at the front, which helped, and as it settles down it is getting quieter but still not enough for a comfortable ride (my most common trip is an 80-miler to the coast, and it is not a pleasure after half-way)

So..I am thinking about applying some acoustic matting to tray and soak up the excess sound. I have bought a quantity of self-adhesive "Deadmat" which is guaranteed to be the best in the universe bar none. Question is - what actually produces the "boom"? Is it the panels vibrating is sympathy with the exhaust? Where should I use the matting to best effect? I don't want to just stick it willy-nilly on every metal surface, 'cos if any repair work is needed (IF?? who am I trying to kid??) it may be a crapper of a job to get back off again.

Any ideas?

Sure it's not touching the bodywork somewhere and I dont mean when it's stationary but when it's under load and the engine "twists" slightly. Look for telltale rubbed spots underneath.

Mine does it too (mild steel rather than stainless, but common on 2 1/4 or 2 1/2 inch systems). Reduced by inclusion of cherry bomb just behind collector but not eliminated. Sound deadening will help (Dynamat Pro is meant to be the best) but it's quite heavy and yes, a bugger to remove!

What puzzles me is why a car that sounds so bl**dy noisy inside isn't deafening all the pedestrians too...

Back