Removing oil pump on S30/S130 without resetting timing.

Mr.G

Club Member
Just thought I'd share a tip I read on the net.

I need to pull the oil pump to change a leaking gasket, normally this would involve the spindle shaft coming out, replace the gasket and then you would need to ensure the tang of the spindle is at the 11:25 position and then set the timing with a timing light.

Well someone mentioned that you can remove the pump without the spindle falling out or removing the dizzy and messing up the timing, what you do is remove the Dizzy cap and put an elastic band or something on the rotor and pretension it to something in the engine bay, thus the pump can be removed and the spindle wont fall out - well that's the theory anyway.

I am going to give it a go and report back as to if it works.

I would recommend setting the engine to TDC on #1 cylinder, just in case the spindle does drop out!

Can anyone see any flaws in this, it seems to make sense in theory.

adrianfr

Well-Known Forum User
Best thing to do here George is to remove distributor with the two bolts so when its refitted timing will be the same, clamp the spindle with a pair on long nose mole grips to stop it falling out when pump is removed, only needs a light clamp on the shaft so no need to damage it. Adrian