Rear suspension transverse pin repair (DIY)

evtech

Well-Known Forum User
Hi
Thought it worth sharing my little mod/salvage/repair to the lower pins on my 260 rear arms; After 1+1/2 hours trying to remove them, the external threads were beyond repair and the cotter pins needed drilling out, I then had the dilema of locating new pins :confused: or making new (material grades etc became an issue) then a moment of inspiration resulted in a couple of hours on the lathe where the threads got parted off and the pins got drilled and tapped 3/8th (10mm) and some cap heads got screwed into the holes; the cotter pin holes got tapped out 1/2 inch (12mm) and a grub screw will now locate in the cotter pin slot of the pin to act as anti rotation, the lower arm also had a light reaming with an adjustable reamer to polish up the post removal burrs etc, the result is a serviced pair of pins that you can also pop a pin punch inside to the hole to tap them out again in the future, the cap heads secure the bush sleave and hey presto jobs a good'un.
You don't need a lathe to do this mod, a steady hand and a drill would do, drilling and tapping on the lathe just helps get things central and true.
All The best
Nigel

Attachments

• DSCF0441.JPG
    DSCF0441.JPG
    460.2 KB · Views: 46
Brilliant,

I knackered one the other day, but one is fine. Might see if I can fix t'other one now. The threads are just warped and such from the beating, but they may true up again. At least with the pin in place they shouldn't fall out anyway?

Shame I appear to have two offside wishbones and not a normal pair??

Thanks

I BLOODY KNEW I'D READ THAT SOMEWHERE :D Thanks Pete!

I'm so pleased, couldn't believe it when I laid out all my suspension parts and went "hang on a minute".

I will add that news to Zee Enzyclopedia.

Back