Rear Number Plate Holder and Light

It would help if they had unwrapped the "lights" - I don't think that what is inside the wrapping is the right part you need...

There should be a plastic hosing which, on a UK car, would have been a dummy hosing without lights anyway. These can be adapted to take bulb holders.

I was thinking the picture shows the back, and that the plastic housing is on the other side, and presumably has already been adapted for lights as there's wiring coming off it and he states it comes with lights?

I presume I do need the number plate bracket too for it all to fit together properly?

There are quite a few on eBay from the states but I cannot figure out which one I need: datsun z licence light | eBay

Tim,
My understanding is the UK numberplate light (above) is a dummy, I think something to do with meeting import compliance, here in the UK. The ones fitted to other countries, like Japan, is exactly the same, except it has bulb holders/power. I would think the number plate bracket would be the same (as the only difference to the numberplate holder is internal).

Tim,

I just had a look at my R-Drive and L-Drive fiches and the part number (P/N) for the license plate holder, for two seaters (coupes) is the same both in the US and UK (P/N: 79901-N3400). However, both Stateside and in the UK, the 2+2 has a different P/N for the licence plate holder, 79901-N3700. So, provided you procure a licence plate from a coupe, then this should fit your car.

Fitting of the licence plate holder to the bodywork is via two plastic rivets, part number 79909-E4100, most likely available through Mike Feeney at MJP.

Ideal, thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated. Looks like I might have found one in that case!

Just to say that a 240Z license plate holder is different from a 260Z and also the license light assembly (mounted above the license plate) is different too (the 240Z license lamp fitted above the number plate has three holes in the rearward face, but the latter 260Z type, which you evidently need, does not). If you are looking on ebay.com a stock 280z (not 280ZX) coupe unit should fit your car too.

Not sure if the one I've bought is from a 240 or 260. Was nice and cheap though so will wait and see if it fits or can be made to fit. Occurred to me the plate holder may actually be present; my plate is currently fixed so the sides run behind the light covers and I've not had it all off yet to see what's going on.

Back