Rear Lamp Strip down

Stevie P

Well-Known Forum User
Anyone got any tips on how to get the lenses out to clean years of dust out?

Can the white sealant be easily pulled apart?

Thanks,

Steve

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Stevie, have you managed to remove the tiny rusted screws that hold the chromed bezel to the outer light body without crumbling the plastic (if you are going that far- or just cleaning the lenses)?

Stevie P

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Ian

Yep, I got the small rusted screws out OK, the chromes are intact. Just need to get them chromed also.

Steve

camerashy

Well-Known Forum User
Basically, hot soapy water will make the white sealant pliable enough to pull the lens from the housing. Just don't rush it or you'll likely crack the bulb housing. I ran the blade of a thin penknife in-between the lens and housing too. Some 'sticky residue remover' left to soak on the remnants of the white sealant should see it gone.

Ian Patmore

Well-Known Forum User
Would be interested to hear Steve where you get the chrome surrounds re-chromed. Being plastic... I have only come across two places in the US who regularly re-chrome these. And they don't do anymore (as far as I know)... Worth doing if you can...

Last edited by a moderator:

status

Well-Known Forum User
I have a set that are new/rechromed,might sell but they aint cheap also got a few decent sets of rear lights that are ok

status

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Steve,tell me wot time you will be sitting down tonight and i will pm you,the lights are cheap but the other bits,well you can make your own mind up,you could also ring me if you want on 01279850343

status

Well-Known Forum User
i only want back wot i paid for em,but like i said they aint cheap,also steve did you ever get that bit for the rocker cover that holds the ht leads in place,dont know if i was dreaming the other day but thought i saw one in my toolbox,i will double check