Rear Fog Lights

Aussie ZX

Forum User
I need to sort out rear fog lights on my 300zx import for MOT, (don't know how it got past with the last guy who owned it) - any suggestions?:confused:

Speak to MrF on this forum. He's South East too. or call MJP eastern auto on 01277 374201. (same fella)

Hi,
Any auto electrician should be able to wire up two of the brake lights to come on as fog lights.I had this done to my Z32 import...the inner two lights worked as fog lights off the front fog switch, but this didn't interfere with their use as rear running lights.
Much neater than hanging a foglight under the rear bumper.
Cheerz,
JEZ

Fog Lights

This is exactly what I have done.. the inner two Brake lamps are easy to bypass, and use as Fog Lamps. Originally I used one of the reverse lamps, and inserted red jells into the clear lens section. However the ,loss of one of the reverse lights made nightime manouvering in confinded spaces a wee bit tricky.
:280Z:

hope you get sorted.previous owner of my zx did a botch job also and now when i hit the brakes right outer light and left inner light come on, and the fogs dont even work! . also electric antenna original control cable is missing from dash so i put a direct power supply from the battery to the motor and is now permanently up. bugs me because i think the antenna placement is one of the nicest features of the car!

Hi,
The other option is to fit a UK spec rear bumper, as it already has the foglights in the bumper!
There's usually a few people fitting bodykits, who don't need the original bumper anymore!
A few years ago when having my exhausts fitted at The Z Centre, Luke suggested this remedy...probably as he had a couple of Uk bumpers laying in the yard!;)
Cheerz,
JEZ

FOG Lamps BY SENSE Resistors

Having taken out two of the Brake Lamps from the Brake lamp circuit, and using them for FOG Lamps, you may notice that the "LIGHTS" alarm comes on each time you use the brakes. This is because the lamp sense system is not getting sufficient current, when the brakes are used, so it is alarming you that you have lost a brake lamp.

To fool the system into thinking you still have four brake lamps, use two current sense resistors, of about 6ohms. These should be the rectangular profile wire wound type, about 7Watts should be adequate for the duration they are used. Use a heatsink glue, unto the chassis. Use Silicon sleeving on the flying leads and strap them across the brake lamp wires, you have removed from the brake lamps, in order to use the FOG circuit.

The brake bulbs use 20Watts.. But a 7W should be OK, if used on the chassis, with heat sink glue, as used for keeping heatsinks on PC chips, etc.

Use of a 15W would of course be better.<But longer> Get them at Maplins, with the heat sink glue. the whole lot should be about £1.00 :Z32:

i used my centre brake light just for the mot then took it off just taped the switch to the dash and ran a wire from back to front got a pass took me two mins to do just real lazy somtimes!!

And remember that you need a dash light to tell you when the fogs are on, or it'll fail the MOT. I also heard somewhere that you need seperate front and rear fog switches, but I don't know if that's right. I've currently got a reversing light conversion, but I'll be doing an inner brake-light conversion soon.

Edit: My first post here- Hooray!

Back