Power Steering Pump... please help

garrettsouth

New Forum User
I have a 91 300zx NA 2+2. It has a new high pressure hose, new rack and pinion, and 3 new power steering pumps... and my power steering still only works intermittenly. I only use dexron like the book says. The power steering will work great the first few days after I have installed a new pump, but go bad again everytime. Can anyone offer any help?

Mr.F

Inactive
There is a fault elsewhere - possibly pressure switch on the lines or the solenoid unit on the rack pinion.
When a fault is detected the system defaults to no power assistance (fail safe mode) and the steering goes "heavy" - commonly happens intermittently giving an "on-off" feel while cornering.
The steering control unit looks for input from speed sensor (via the speedo), operation of stop lamp switch, clutch switch, parking brake switch, neutral switch - loss of any signal for a significant period leads to default.

Bleeding should be done with engine running and front wheels off the ground - turn from lock to lock adding fluid until no further decrease in level and no bubbling evident. Pump may click or buzz if air bleeding not complete. Don't overfill!

garrettsouth

New Forum User
We did bleed it. "possibly pressure switch on the lines or the solenoid unit on the rack pinion" which makes sense, but I don't know how to test it. Is there some way to test what issue it could be?