Please help with wheel sizing

nubbiecakez

Well-Known Forum User
Time to change my tires (Falken Azenis ST115 205/55/16). I'm looking at replacing them with another set of Falkens, maybe the same line or maybe one of the ZE lines. I found, while doing some work on inner fenders, that my wheels (some sort of nissan brand enkeis) are 16x6.5 in the front, havent had a chance to check the back but i don't think they're staggered. I realized this is .5 in smaller in the front and 1.5-.5 smaller in the back. So now i'm trying to decide if i should replace the rims too. I really like the way mine look, but one had a nice little scar on the lip, about 3-4inches long and another looks like it bubbling a little around the center cap. Mainly i want to beable to launch without spinning my wheels for 5 minutes (est. 380bhp at this point), should i get bigger/stock wheels, will some slightly wider tires do the trick or what? Will 225/50/16s fit on 6.5 inch wide wheels? Any tire and wheel suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I know at some point i want to get new wheels to make it look really clean, but i didn't really want to for some time until i could afford some that i really want and i don't really like the stock 300zx wheels. Thanks in advance. (BTW i need good dry/wet traction and a z rating with high tread wear rating and it looks like ebay will be my cheapest bet for tires, about $360 with free shipping for a set of 4 falkens)

nubbiecakez

Well-Known Forum User
Anyone have any suggestions? I've researched and it seems 215 will be the best i can fit on that width tire without my car turning into the Michelin man. Is the width difference (10 up front and 30 in the rear) a huge difference? Gonna be buying the tires fairly soon and would really appreciate any info you can provide me with. Thanks again!

nubbiecakez

Well-Known Forum User
Been researching a little more and realized the stock wheels also have a 35mm offset. I don't believe my current wheels have any inset/offset and from what i've read that can affect my suspension and handling. Is this a major problem?

nubbiecakez

Well-Known Forum User
bump. realized the wheels i have now are enkei rp-f1, but they say nissan on the back next to enkei. can't find any identical on the net and not even with the same kinda sparkly powder coat either. still havent had a chance to check rear wheels to see if they're staggered and i'm not sure what offset they carry yet. any opinions on the effect these wheels will have compared to stock, i know they're a good bit lighter but they aren't nearly as wide. anyways, still trying to decide to figure out if i should buy the stock wheels or new tires. help is appreciated! (i'll try to get pics of the spokes/back of the wheels with nissan markings to help with identification)

Legrath

Well-Known Forum User
I would get new wheels. Im afraid those really do not belong on a 300zx in those sizes, far too narrow , they are designed for a very small hatchback or lightweight small roadster.

Your wheels are 1.5" narrower on the front and 2" narrower than the stock wheels.

Stock Europe/U.S spec wheels are 8" front (225 tyre) 8.5" rear (245 tyre), and everyone who goes aftermarket goes wider - 8.5" front and 9.5" rear is a popular setup.

Stock wheels are pretty light for a Manufacturers wheel, around 18Ibs each

nubbiecakez

Well-Known Forum User
Yeah, the new wheels feel much better, now i just need some new tires for em. Thinking Fuzion ZRis. One of the few they make in the the stock tire size combo.