OS Giken TC24-B1

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Been posted before I thinks (I have seen it somewhere):conf2: ...for more dribblesome fun look at the Tomitaku website movies:cool: :thumbs:

http://www.tomitaku.com/index_movie.html

Mr Ex said:
Never heard of the Z432 twin cam 2.0 litre?

In all fairness though Alan
The TC24-B1 and the S20(432 and 432R engines from the C10 GT-R Skyline) were/are both differant animals.
The TC24-B1 being an aftermarket parts kit (of which a very few survive) designed for the L6 block, to turn it into a twin cam cross flow, whilst the S20 was a completely differant engine (block, head etc) of 2 litre displacement produced as a twin cam cross flow unit
By "bolt on" it means a complete rebuild of the L series engine with differant pistons, rods and whatnot:eek:

Its such a shame we didnt see the 432 on our shores (other than the extreamly rare anomaly) ...I would be really interested to see how well it performed ...2 litre displacement in an inline 6 should be wonderfull...I wonder was this the forerunner format of the RB

Last edited by a moderator:

DJZ 60

Well-Known Forum User
Colour

Aint that a Handsome Dave Gold Colour? Heres the paint
batch No: SVM 79H. DJZ 60.:rolleyes:

Mr Ex

Inactive
SKiddell said:
Been posted before I thinks (I have seen it somewhere):conf2: ...for more dribblesome fun look at the Tomitaku website movies:cool: :thumbs:

http://www.tomitaku.com/index_movie.html

In all fairness though Alan
The TC24-B1 and the S20(432 and 432R engines from the C10 GT-R Skyline) were/are both differant animals.
The TC24-B1 being an aftermarket parts kit (of which a very few survive) designed for the L6 block, to turn it into a twin cam cross flow, whilst the S20 was a completely differant engine (block, head etc) of 2 litre displacement produced as a twin cam cross flow unit
By "bolt on" it means a complete rebuild of the L series engine with differant pistons, rods and whatnot:eek:

Its such a shame we didnt see the 432 on our shores (other than the extreamly rare anomaly) ...I would be really interested to see how well it performed ...2 litre displacement in an inline 6 should be wonderfull...I wonder was this the forerunner format of the RB
It's a pity it wasn't made in a 2.4 & 2.6 size, + didn't it only make 150 brake which means there wasn't much point in having it + it would have cost more to produce & buy.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Mr Ex said:
It's a pity it wasn't made in a 2.4 & 2.6 size, + didn't it only make 150 brake which means there wasn't much point in having it + it would have cost more to produce & buy.

Why? Are 2.4 and 2.6 litres some kind of 'magic' capacities then? Why not 3.0 or 3.4 for example?

And I don't know where you got "150 brake" from, but its wrong. You might like to check out the true output of the L24 and L26 engines fitted to your cars from the factory before you go too far with that line of discussion.........

Do you not understand why the S20 engine ( and therefore the 432/432R & GT-R ) was made? Have you ever even seen one in the metal, let alone looked inside it?

Russ

Club Member
I think he means it's a shame we never had a 2.4 cross flow twin cam and a 2.6 in the 260 :)

That is pure metal sex though and if I had an organ I didn't need I wouldn't certainly sell it!

zedhead260

Well-Known Forum User
Mr.G said:
You mean ones with dribble coming from them?? Yeah, I thought the same.

No I was thinking more on the lines of head in hands with despair.

Why a thread entitled "OS Giken TC24-B1" gets a reply about an S20 ?

:conf2: - perhaps that one will have to do.

Mr Ex

Inactive
Russ said:
I think he means it's a shame we never had a 2.4 cross flow twin cam and a 2.6 in the 260 :)

That is pure metal sex though and if I had an organ I didn't need I wouldn't certainly sell it!
Got it in one.:thumbs:

Mr Ex

Inactive
Albrecht said:
Why? Are 2.4 and 2.6 litres some kind of 'magic' capacities then? Why not 3.0 or 3.4 for example?
Because THAT is what we had in the 70s.

Do you not understand why the S20 engine ( and therefore the 432/432R & GT-R ) was made?
Yes.

Mr Ex

Inactive
Albrecht said:
Because THAT is what we had in the 70s.

Do you not understand why the S20 engine ( and therefore the 432/432R & GT-R ) was made?
Yes.

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
Mr Ex said:
Never heard of the Z432 twin cam 2.0 litre?

Contrary to popular belief, I am not entirely stupid, which is all the more funny when the first reply tries to compare apples to aardvarks.

I found the Tomitaku site and the Youtube video and thought it would be interesting for people to see, naively missing the fact that there would of course be sarcastic responses flying around straightaway.

Of course I knew they existed, of course I knew what they were but had never seen one running, that's all - just wanted to share the video, the whole point of a forum / club environment.

The sound is glorious and the Saki is a nice touch, showing different cultural approach and reverence for a pretty rare and exclusive engine.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
Why a thread entitled "OS Giken TC24-B1" gets a reply about an S20 ?
Indeed but both are hugely worthy of discussion:thumbs: .
The only shame is that the topic of the TC24 has been tainted with so many "Does anyone fancy a group buy" or "I'm going to contact OS-Giken to see" type posts over on Classiczars.com and Hybridz that unless carefully managed becomes a worthless thread.

The TC24 whilst immensly interesting and historically vital is almost unicorn like, plus it was a complex after market system (all be it an engineering masterpiece) that had a distinct begining and (early?) end

However (to me, at this moment) the S20 is of more interest as it was an evolutionary branch (possibly even a tree on its own) of the engine family which asks (begs) more questions than I currently have answers for. What were the conceptual ideas that gave birth to it, where does the 380 program fit in, if at all, what was the thinking at the time, were was it going, did it have parentage from any other designs, did it have children, whats the bore dia, pitch, long or short crank throw, bearing layout, oiling system, camshafts, valve layout, chamber design....its design is so radically different from engines that were on offer outside of Japan, that it intriques me somewhat.

Last edited by a moderator: