Nuts and bolts help.

260Zues

Forum User
Hi all,
I'm restoring a 1978 RHD UK 260Z and although the car might have been considered "complete" when I bought it, as all parts were present/fitted (and the engine was running!), the chassis and much of the bodywork was incomplete due to Mr. Rust. (15 years sat on a drive, exposed to the elements, sure took it's toll. I'm pretty sure that the sun roof had been fitted with a tin opener!).
The chassis/bodywork has all now been repaired or replaced and I'm gearing up to start rebuilding with new or refurbished parts. The problem that I have is that although I've kept all the nuts, bolts and fiddly bits that came off the car originally, I didn't keep track of the location of every single item (hind sight is a wonderful thing!).
I need to renew many of the nuts/bolts anyway but I need to ensure that I do this using the correct sizes etc. and I wondered if there are any exploded parts diagrams with corresponding part numbers and nut/bolt sizes etc. available for download and print?
As an example, I'm confident that I know which bolt goes where but I'm less confident that I know which of those bolts had normal washers or locking washers on them or held a bracket or similar, long since lost to rust.
Any help appreciated again! :bow:
Kind Regards,
260Zues.

uk66fastback

Club Member
Minefield!

Luckily for a common car like the early Mustang, you can buy reprinted booklets showing every nut, bolt and washer and their location ... there are a few available and also a whole book with all the wiring diagrams ... I know of none for the 240/260, but ait to be enlightened cos I could probably use one as well ...

Best of luck. I think you may need to see a car in the later stages of a rebuild and make sure you take a camera and notepad.

yellowz

Club Member
I just picked an 'as good as new' copy of How to Restore your Datsun Z car by Wick Humble. Some of the exploded diagrams in there give nut, bolt and washer positions.

Got to say the book is paperback and really is as new. Off to Specsavers now because some of the pictures don't look that clear. Just started reading this. Could take some time!

260Zues

Forum User
Hi uk66fastback,

I've found the below which appears to give me what I need (though there's a lot of cross referencing between this and google for what each part number actually is):

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978

YellowZ, I've added "How to Restore your Datsun Z car by Wick Humble" to my list of items to track down....

Thanks for the responses both...

260Zues