My L28 upgrade for my 260 2+2

evtech

Well-Known Forum User
Well Folks, parts are now coming in thick and fast, a of piccy of my new 2 1/2 inch throttle body from Jenvey is in my galleryhttp://www.jenvey.co.uk/ just finished the stepped studs (6mm-8mm), needs a throat plate to cover the lump in the stock manifold that let the cold start injector drop in, bit of a fettle with the linkage and we're away.

Pistons arrived last week at +1 mm (pic later), so I suppose you could say I've now got a 'lightened' block:D .

Going to fit an emerald ECU, http://www.emeraldm3d.com/index.html and this time we will have boost control:eek: should save the pain of three bust pistons again:eek:

Cleaned the old injector mounts off last night to allow the 500cc Toyota ones I've got to drop a bit further into the alloy manifold, fuel rail and reg also from Jenvey.

Will post up more progress as it happens, but no hillclimbs this year as by the time it's run in and set up our season will have ended.

Nigel

Last edited by a moderator:
Summer of graft or is that grafting?

datsun dave said:
Sounds a nice job nigel when do you think that you will be running again ?

Hi Dave

Targeting September, although I've got the gearbox to look at, it hates selecting first with the old launch control settings (might change with ECU control, but best have a look at the syncro while I can).

I've just made the caliper carry plates for my rear disc conversion, this is ontop of all the engine work.

Also bought a nice front spoiler/bumper unit off Mike (Moggy240), I over paid him and he refunded me; now that's an honest guy:bow: :bow: Fits with Sean D's thread about sharing spares, honesty without ripping you off, works for me.

Also attempting to fit the 280zx power steering but this is begining to look like a non starter:conf2: , but I won't say die just yet;)

Booked in at Emerald for November on the rollers.

Load of piccy's to come just got to set my camera to the forum bit limit, otherwise it's all got to go in my gallery.

Cheers

Nigel

Nigel will look out for the new pictures keep up the good work and hope that you get it all sorted for the November deadline.

Latest pictures and update

Hi folks

Some pictures of the SLOW progress I'm making, only excuse is I've now turned 40, so it's time to slow down (not) :D :D :D

• Rear disc conversion 50% complete, using 280zx rear calipers and new discs. (full set of brake springs, working wheel cylinders, handbrake levers and powder coated drums now going up for grabs (£25 all in to collect, will be on ebay by next weekend if not claimed from within the club).
  • Crank fitted to block and end float checked at 0.003" total, so well withing tolerance.
  • Sneaky little shot of the engine in me 'DEN'.;)
  • Head built up with cam installed and gapped.
Currently ringing the pistons, they will get popped in soon enough, still loads of 'little' jobs to do that take so much time:conf2: got all the new ECU sensors to fit'find homes for (air, water, map, crank, throttle pot, clutch, speed, intercooler cooling etc); going to change fuel supply line from 5/16 up to 3/8.

On a negative note I can confirm that a 280ZX power rack WILL NOT fit in a 260,:( the only thing that my have worked was to use the 280 Xmember, but I shy'd away from upsetting the geometry.

Enjoy the piccy's.

Nige

Attachments

• discs (Large).JPG
    discs (Large).JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 52
  • crank (Large).JPG
    crank (Large).JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 54
  • workshop (Large).JPG
    workshop (Large).JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 65
  • headP90 (Large).JPG
    headP90 (Large).JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 60
Evtech,
Did you manage to fix the handbrake cable to the 280zx calipers easily, and working? Good progress by the way....always the small stuff that takes time...

Cheers
Ian

Ian Patmore said:
Evtech,
Did you manage to fix the handbrake cable to the 280zx calipers easily, and working? Good progress by the way....always the small stuff that takes time...

Cheers
Ian

Yep, sure did;

Just opened the holes out slightly to take the outer cable boss and by just swapping the left cable to the right, hey presto it shortens the 'spare loop' of cable by about 4" and a nice little 5/16th bolt fits straight through the cable yoke and the caliper link.

Nige

Nige,
I can't quite follow what you did.....did you use the original z handbrake cable, or swap to a 280zx one? The 240z/260z cable is a one piece. The trouble I'm having is my cable is only just long enough when I add a bracket to the handbrake hangers (above the diff) to give me enough length. Then the cable loops under the driveshafts (from fuel tank side), the anti roll bar drop link gets in the way, before then joining the caliper body. Then the cable yoke does not seem to have enough "pull length" to operate the caliper handbrake. I guess I'm going about this the wrong way....... Did you forget about the handbrake hangers, and just let the cable cross over(your left to right bit) and attach to the calipers (engine side of the drive shafts)....?

Any chance of any pics to explain how you done yours.

Dazed and confused....
Ian

Progress

Hi Folks

Well it's time for some more sneaky peeks at my painfully slow progress.

Engines in, gearbox is in, all sensors etc wired and coils mounted, just need to run wires to them and pop in an extra ignition relay to give them a boost, plug leads to be sent back to magnecore http://www.magnecor.com/ for shortening, number 3 will now 5 inches total length, crank sensor needs a plug/socket fitting and it's cable needs running on it's own, stops it interfering with other sensitive things under the bonnet...............:conf2: wonder if it'll leave me alone:D

Just need to drop it on it's wheel's, take her out the yard and turn her around to get at the passenger side to do the remaining wirey, wizardy whitchcrafty type stuff that's now becoming second nature (Umm..........I see smoke rising over Telford....Nige dropped a Bol%*&$:D ).

Still short of of some intercooler plumbing, so mid/late Novemeber seems on the cards.

As you can see Daddy's becoming a bit of a spectator now Jack's discovered my spanners:) .

Cheers

Nigel

Attachments

• DSCF0973.JPG
    DSCF0973.JPG
    453.3 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCF0975.JPG
    DSCF0975.JPG
    465.1 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCF0980.JPG
    DSCF0980.JPG
    462.4 KB · Views: 33
Oops

Ian Patmore said:
Nige,
I can't quite follow what you did.....did you use the original z handbrake cable, or swap to a 280zx one? The 240z/260z cable is a one piece. ....... Did you forget about the handbrake hangers, and just let the cable cross over(your left to right bit) and attach to the calipers (engine side of the drive shafts)....?

Any chance of any pics to explain how you done yours.

Dazed and confused....
Ian

Sorry Ian

Thought I'd answered this.

In short yes it is still the one piece 260 cable, the hangers are not being used although I will be clipping it up later in other places to clear bits, more over remember my calipers are mounted leading/forward on the disc, some I've seen are top others trailing, this will have an impact on cable runs, as for not having enough pull, I've just popped the pin stright through the cleat and all seems fine currently, as I said I've still got to pop the other one on and bleed it all through, play should be taken up with the caliper adjusters, and any slack in the cable adjusters.

Nige

Nice work Nigel....what kind of turbo is that? your exhaust is pointing in the wrong direction!!:D
That's a joke by the way.

twoforty said:
Nice work Nigel....what kind of turbo is that? your exhaust is pointing in the wrong direction!!:D
That's a joke by the way.

Hiya

It's a Garrett T3/T4 hybrid, after I'd finished buggering around with it, it wouldn't fit the 'standard' way round on my original carb setup, couldn't flow oil at it, (got a picture of the original setup prior to me buying it, it was mounted on a square box section tubular steel home made mainifold that just was well....crap....) I built a collector that bolted onto a stock manifold an hey presto there it is:D

Cheers

Nige

Attachments

• originassby.JPG
    originassby.JPG
    468.7 KB · Views: 24
twoforty said:
What A/R is the turbo?

Ehh? :conf2: thicket here not sure of the abreviation. the exhaust blades have been blended by BTN Turbo's to allow quicker spooling, being a T it takes a long time to run up but advantageously it also takes a while to run down.[/FONT]

what CR are you running?
:thumbs:

Around 8:1, still aiming for a torquey engine, not all stallions!

Nige

Explanation of AR here
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/turbo-size-a-r-and-trim-vt730.html

I'm running 8.35:1 so pretty similar. Just sorted some ignition problems...had ECU out of phase with the ignition coil ecu which was messing with my advance at high rpm causing knock....was starting to think my timing mark was wrong, I will be raising the boost a litttle now. I went with a Holset turbo, it's pretty big but works really well with a big lump like the l28...spools up instantly and fits like it was made for the job. You can pick them up for $350 off ebay...when you burn your one out give one a go. It will be really interesting to see how your car runs...keep the pics coming.

Note on the ignition as it looked like you had a multicoil pack there....if it's EDIS your ECU needs to be set to rising edge on the trigger not falling.

Back