Making your own...

Markp.com

Well-Known Forum User
About every three months I have to replace a bulb in my 323... I have no idea why, they just go... Electrics are fine (although the aircon is shagged)...

So as you can imagine, I'm mighty pissed off...

I was just sitting here thinking what if I replace the bulbs with some of those super bright LEDs?

So I looked on google and found this

Now a couple of questions... obviously, I'll have to add a resistor between the 12ish volts from the car to the what ever ohm rating the LEDs are... but I think I remember from school that if you shine a red light through a red bit of glass (i.e. the brake light cover) then the red light won't pass through...

So will I need white LEDs?

Anyway, it should be more hard wearing than the current bulbs which cost £9-£15 a pop!

What do you think?

The red glass just acts as a filter, only allowing red light through. White light is made up of the full spectrum, if you had red LEDs they should be brighter than the partially filtered white lights.

You could make your own, but for a tenner for a pair is it worth the hassle?

Work it out... a tenner every few months, or a tenner for how ever the LEDs last for (which apparently is a hell of a lot longer than standard bulbs)...

Anyway, it'll be a nice little project to keep me busy over a weekend ;)

Well the LEDs really shouldn't die :) Its whether you want to go to the hassle of getting the LEDS from maplin and doing the bulb holder set up etc.

Indeed a nice little project though.

Back