Lap Belt & MOT

Aceman

Well-Known Forum User
Hiya,

Does anyone know the rulings within the MOT on having a US import lap seat belt (as opposed to a 3 point inertia belt) fitted to the car?

It's a 1971 240z with lap belts, but being a fresh import has not seen an MOT station as yet and wondering (for my plan of attack) a priority for me making this change.

Cheers!!

bandit

Well-Known Forum User
there will be no problem with the mot as it was fitted as standard i take it it is lhd and i have mot'd cars with lap belts fitted before but i will get you the exact ruling according to vosa guidlines and let you know tomorrow but you should not have any problems

samuri-240

Well-Known Forum User
Mine used to pass the test with lap belts I changed them for 3 point ones though for 2 reasons to save getting pulled by the fuss for not wearing one & getting snapped in half in the case of an accident :eek:. The fixing points for 3 point ones are already in the body shell so no probs fitting them.

Nidge74

New Forum User
I've got a Zed and a Jap Bluebird with lap belts in the rear. Never had a problem with an MOT.

Not sure about the rulings for lap belts in front.

Aceman

Well-Known Forum User
Ok - makes it tempting to leave in just to get it on the road, and then upgrade once it's legal..

Cheers for the responses!!

bandit

Well-Known Forum User
only allowed lap belts in the back the front have to restrain the upper body but does not need to include a lap strap so does not have to be a three point belt hope this helps