Instrument lighting?...

JEZ 280ZX

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,
Has anyone changed the colour of their instrument lights?
The standard white bulbs are white and aren't very bright even on max!...I was wondering if they could easily be changed to blue, for instance and made brighter too?
I'm not bothered about the pod lights, just the instruments such as speedo and rev counter etc.

Hi,
Think I may have found the answer on the 300ZX forum!.....
Blue screw-in leds.
dials1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
lights

hi there
nice looking lights man:cool: . where did you get them from:confused: . would like to get them for my 300zx tt:devil:
cheers

its a zed thing baby
300zx tt the best:D

501 push in bulbs behind the dash are what you need.

As soon as the 300zx.co.uk forum comes back on-line I'll find the proper links to the how-to's for both the dash and side pods. Choice of colour is then up to you.

Post back shortly.

Dave

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the links!
Where's the best place to get the bulbs from and what do we ask for?....I work near a Maplins store, do you think they will stock these blue leds?
The stock dash lighting is pants!

hi dave
just looked at the sites and installation guide, looks o.k.
am gonna order the blue l.e.d. lights for my 300zx tt dash, but they sell a varied selection of 501 l.e.d.'s
which one do i go for?
cheers mate

its a zed thing baby

I can't find the exact ones that I got, but...... I'm in the process of obtaining a Indiglo dial set for my Eliza, so will have all my LED 501's available in the near future if you are interested :D
Other than that, the ones I linked in my previous post will do the trick.

HTH

Dave

Hi,
I've thought about indiglo dials too, (I've got Z32Dave's old z32) but the hassle of fitting them has put me off.
I think that the blue led route may be easier for me.How do they look on your car Dave?
The chrome speedo rings for the 300ZX look quite nice too

JEZ300Z said:
Hi,
I've thought about indiglo dials too, (I've got Z32Dave's old z32) but the hassle of fitting them has put me off.
I think that the blue led route may be easier for me.How do they look on your car Dave?
The chrome speedo rings for the 300ZX look quite nice too
It's quite tricky to take a good quality photo to show you how they look, but they do show up quite well. There is, however, a slight illumination problem with the red needles, as the blue light doesn't show through them as much as you'd wish. This is one of the reasons for me going down the Indiglo route (that way I keep white light for the needles)
The blue looks really great with the blue LED side pods as well (also my radio is blue illuminated)

Hi,
I was wondering about the red needles and whether they would still be illuminated.I suppose in the photo above, the flash from the camera is lighting them up?
My stereo lights up either blue or red....But I much prefer the blue colour!

Hi,
On the subject of side pods...the rec(irculate) and econ(omy) buttons don't light up or seem to work on my car!
Perhaps I will need to source a replacement pod?

JEZ300Z said:
Hi,
I was wondering about the red needles and whether they would still be illuminated.I suppose in the photo above, the flash from the camera is lighting them up?
Nope, I'd say that the exposure time has allowed more light to show up.

JEZ300Z said:
Hi,
On the subject of side pods...the rec(irculate) and econ(omy) buttons don't light up or seem to work on my car!
Perhaps I will need to source a replacement pod?
No, you can just replace the LED's. Just find some of the same spec as the blue ones in the mod. (Use the link in the mod, ultraleds.com are quite good)

Dave

JEZ300Z said:
Hi,

That is my Dash pic above, using Blue LED bulbs. Yes, the camera is showing the needles of a bit brighter than they really are, but they are still very clear in reality

Here is another pic showing the pods (the black bit is steering wheel).

They are actually a deeper blue rather than the aqua shade shown, and dont have the bright spots...thats all down to the camera.

dials2.jpg

Hi,
Took the binnacle cover off today and reached round and pulled one of the bulbs out and it has a blue rubber cover on it, although it lights up white!...What's that for?

I see just makes them look whiter when lit, rather than yellow!

Hi,
I bought some blue led bulbs from Halfords today and managed to swap three bulbs over just by reaching behind the instrument cluster.....The last one was a sod to reach and I had to resort to unscrewing the side pods and front trim and releasing the cluster so I could get my hand in there!
The dials now have a nice blue glow, although they're no brighter than the original white lights.

dash2.jpg

They're much brighter in reality, both the dials and the needles...It's just that my camera is rubbish with the flash turned off!

Back