How to protect inside the doors?!?

s2k_adz

Club Member
Hey guys,

I've started rebuilding my 260 after painting now but I've noticed that the inside of the doors is pretty un protected and is basically bare metal since they were blasted.

What's the done thing inside the doors to protect the metal? I'm not sure weather to get a brush as far in as I can and try to hammerite or red lead them before wax or would you just cavity wax the hell out of them?

I've got Noxudol which won the test for cavity waxes... But will this be enough
9fa93f662b961812aa00ec656991a1d1.jpg
39c16cdb71dcfbd3e2a3f6f665cec3bf.jpg
58a50ce72f9991e6579286c69cc1b39a.jpg
5f79070e20a3f77fa606f09289ea2162.jpg
c9bafdda5c16d48c83584afe8f37558c.jpg
1cbb6712a2b93486be55d6e9d9c9b7cb.jpg

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

uk66fastback

Club Member
Personally, I'd wax the hell out of them with what you've got. I can't imagine it's ever going to get as wet as it once did back in the day is it?

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Adam,
What has happened to the colour ?
Thought you went for 920 Safari Gold in the end.
Did you have a re-think or just the light ?
Looks more like 919 Yellow in the pics, maybe just the reflection off the walls ;)

s2k_adz

Club Member
Thanks all, much appreciated! It just seems so wrong not having paint in there!

Chris, yes its definitely 920! I think its a combo of the yellow walls, poor lighting and camera phone making it look different! How are you Chris?

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
All good thanks Adam.
Thought you would have this finished by now ;)
If you are not careful you'll be in danger of becoming the new 'Franky' :D

Slow progress this year with work, house buying, life getting in the way ?

You need to set a target date for completion as a motivator.
Le Mans Classic next year ?Bit ambitious ? 50th anniversary in 2018 then surely.

s2k_adz

Club Member
Good stuff Chris! To be honest its painfully slow progress this year! Yes, I bought another house and Im in the process of having a garage built there to put the Z in! Im off for most of January and December so Im really looking to push on then.

Id like to say Ill be ready for Goodwood Revival next year.... but honestly I think a 50th anniversary unveiling is more likely.... Also saves me a years road tax ;)

I dont suppose any of you know the answer to this as well:

I've bought dynamat type stuff to sound deaden the floor, transmission tunnel and roof. Do you just apply it over the bungs of have you cut holes in it so you can get to the floor bungs if needed?

chrisvega

Well-Known Forum User
Not sure there is a definitive answer to that question as seems to slightly divide opinion but most seem to go straight over the holes.

If by some chance it gets wet in there you are going to be using a hair dryer and not sure the drain holes will have much effect.

Not saying it's going to be a trailer queen ;) but you won't want to knowingly drive the car in the wet when it's finished anyway.

uk66fastback

Club Member
Go over them I reckon. I used a tonne of Dynamat on my old fastback ... not sure it had THAT much effect - but the metal was three times as thick as these Jap things :D

Paul Henley

Club Member
I used the exact same matting but kept the original floor deadening, but I did fit it to the bulkhead before reapplying the original insulation as in the pics

Attachments

• 2a.JPG
    2a.JPG
    476.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 5 - Copy.jpg
    5 - Copy.jpg
    481.8 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC03584red.jpg
    DSC03584red.jpg
    925.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 10red.jpg
    10red.jpg
    543.3 KB · Views: 40

Stockdale

Club Member
I have found the best way is to keep the car in a garage when the weather looks wet. Works for me fine. Just take your daily plug out otherwise.