Hid & mot

datty240Z

Well-Known Forum User
Has anyone put their Z through the MOT with HID converted headlights? I retained the original headlights on my 240Z but fitted a HID conversion kit. The quality of light is superb but to be honest I'm a bit worried about the amount of light that escapes above the beam pattern. :(The proper beam pattern is still visible but there is also a discernable amount of light above it. Just wondering if anyone else has any experience of this and the MOT test? I'm doing the MOT tomorrow afternoon :bow:and I'll let you know how I get on.

I used to be an MOT tester, been out of it for a while but when you test a sealed beam unit the light pattern is pretty crap so as long as you have some kind of cut off line and not too much light scattered above then they should be fine, you could always fit some french light converters to stop light bleed if need be. keep us updated.

I had thought about french converters or just masking off the headlights. Too late for tomorrow but do you know where I could get converters? Any web sites?

I got my HID kit off e-bay. They came from Hong Kong. The quality of light is really excellent. I had some teething trouble that I eventually traced to my regulator overcharging thus causing the HIDs to cut out. Once I adjusted the regulator I had no more trouble. I have fitted my 240 with plastic wheel arch liners but if you don't have liners you would need to take care to protect the bits of wiring and connectors that will be exposed under the wheel arch.

Just found a web site selling beam benders for LHD cars driving in the UK. So if i have problems with the MOT I'll invest in a set just for the MOT.

I failed the MOT :(But the HIDs were OK. It was the rrear brake adjusters that let me down. A quick fix though.

I have got used to the rear auto adjusters not working correctly so the night before the Mot I whip the rear wheels and drums off, and adjust up the rear shoes manually, makes for a much better brake pedal too, at least for a little while anyway.

I have got used to the rear auto adjusters not working correctly so the night before the Mot I whip the rear wheels and drums off, and adjust up the rear shoes manually, makes for a much better brake pedal too, at least for a little while anyway.

How exactly do you adjust them manually?........I think this is why my handbrake doesn't work.

My drums have holes in them tyhat I can line up adjacent to the toothed wheel on the adjuster. TBH I can't remember if I drilled the holes or if they are original. In any case I just turn the toothed wheel with the tip of a flat screw driver until both road wheels can just about be turned with the same amount of effort.

Ah ok.........I must do that tomorrow and see if it work.......One of my drums has that hole, the other has a rubber grommet type of thing in the hole.

Thanks for that.

My drums have holes in them tyhat I can line up adjacent to the toothed wheel on the adjuster. TBH I can't remember if I drilled the holes or if they are original. In any case I just turn the toothed wheel with the tip of a flat screw driver until both road wheels can just about be turned with the same amount of effort.

The holes are original, there should be a little plastic plug over each hole to stop dirt getting in.

I always remove the drums clean out the dust and remind myself which way I need to turn the wheel, then adjust the clearence. never been the best handbrake in the world either.

Good job then. I guess you were able to get a screwdriver through the hole without removing the wheels. That must have saved a lot of hassle. I had the wheels on and of atleast half a dozen times.:devil:

Yeah I didn't have to take the wheel off at all......... had both sides done in 15 mins this morning. one side was clicking as I was tirning the wheel and the otherside wasn't.

I don't find it a prob taking the wheels off then adgusting the the shoes a bit at a time till it just binds when the drum is back on.

I find it a bit easier to judge when they are just binding by the same amount when the wheels are on making it easier to turn by hand.

Back