Hicas Light Warning

alanz

Well-Known Forum User
Hi All
Can Anyone Help Me With This Problem, My Hicas Light On The Dash Comes On After Driving For 10 Or So Minutes, And Stays On Until I Turn The Ignition Off And Restart, Then Comes After 10 Minutes Of Driving It Comes Back On, Same Thing Over And Over Again. I Am Not Losing Any Fluid And It Is At The Max Level.
Any Info Would Be A Great Help
Many Thanks Zed Members
Alan

If fluid level is definitely OK, then this is indicating a fault somewhere in the HICAS system. There is a self-diagnostic function built into the HICAS control unit, but it is a fiddly process to access. However, worth a try:

1. Ignition switch off
2. Set shift lever to neutral (auto or manual - auto can also use "P")
3. Ignition switch on and immediately start engine
4. Within a ten second period from starting the engine, turn steering wheel from left to right (at least 20 degrees from centre position each way) 5 times and press brake pedal 5 times.
HICAS is ready to input self-diagnosis conditions, so now:
1. Press and release brake pedal
2. Turn steering wheel left to right by at least 20 degrees each way
3.M/T - press clutch pedal and select any gear, return to neutral and disengage clutch. A/T - release and re-engage parking brake. Move shift lever to any position other than "P" or "N". Return to "P".
4. Drive car at least 3 metres forward at at least 1 mph.

HICAS warning lamp on dashboard will now flash - if no faults, you will see regular flashes at 4 per second.
For system malfunction, fail-safe mode may or may not have been triggered:
If fail-safe triggered, then light will flash ten times in 5 seconds followed by a 5 second gap, followed by 9 individual brief (tenth of a second) flashes with two second gaps between. If any flash is seen for one second, this indicates the numerical value of the fault. So, count the short flashes and make a note of any number in the sequence where the flash is longer than the rest. Sequence will repeat when completed, so you'll get another chance (and another, and another...up to 5 minutes).
If fail-safe is not triggered, the display and readings will be the same as described above, but the first 5 seconds will be the HICAS light ON continuously, not flashing rapidly.

Fault codes are:
1. HICAS solenoid valve RH
2. HICAS solenoid valve LH
3. Fail-safe valve
4. Power steering solenoid valve
5. Speed sensor
6. Steering angle sensor
7. Steering neutral position sensor
8. A/T parking brake sensor; M/T clutch sensor
9. A/T inhibitor sensor; M/T neutral sensor

Diagnostic mode is cancelled when you switch the ignition off, or after 5 minutes of trying to give you the codes, or if you drive the car over 19 mph.

Any work done on the steering wheel or column recently? Misalignment or damage to the steering angle / neutral position sensor is most likely.
Any work done on gearbox or in vicinity of gearbox recently? Speed sensor or connector damage likely. Does the speedo play up or give spurious readings?
Any work done on the instrument cluster recently? e.g. delimiter / speed convertor fitted? This could cause HICAS problems with some conversions.
Can you feel the HICAS behaving abnormally under standard driving conditions? Any "kick" or abnormal movement from the rear? Is steering light at low speed, becoming heavier at high speed as designed?

or if mike does not work try

1. Open and close the drivers door 25 times
2. Shout BASTARD 30 times at the car
3. Strip off starkers and run clockwize around the car
4. Using a small Puppy or Kitten clean the whole car (twice)
5. Put the car in reverse and drive at 55 mph for 220 miles

This should now fix it :devil:

Mike, :bow:

Dave, Please never get a Z32, i dont wanna be near you if you ever have to follow the 3rd procedure :p

thanks mr f, i will give it a try next week( my zed is in for a bit of paint)
nice one datsun dave, would love to try but i aint got a small puppy

alanz said:
thanks mr f, i will give it a try next week( my zed is in for a bit of paint)
nice one datsun dave, would love to try but i aint got a small puppy
can you post if you manage to do the self diagnostic check.its like trying to nail blancmange to the ceiling.my light comes on when i leave my car idling so i tried it.(several times).to no avail.

Back