Hi all, new member from Nottingham

kieran9990

Forum User
Hi all,

Firstly I don't want to sound like a record on repeat so I'm sorry if most of this has been covered before.

I'm currently in the process of selling all my bikes as I've always wanted a 240z for years but but never thought the other half would give me the go ahead.

After looking in japan I've come to the conclusion that I've either got to import one from the states or find a clean example in the uk.

I've found a few places in the Netherlands but I'm not used I want to find the right car for me in the states.

Having never imported before there are Allot of things I'm not sure off

Sorry to sound like a drum that's been beaten before but I thought this would be the best place to start my search.

Thanks

Kieran

The shell is everything so a solid one from a dry state is a good starting point. You do still have to look very hard at a "rust free" example as they are not always rust free. There was a series of YouTube clips about a rust free z that was bought, stripped, and found to be far from rust free.

Hi

Great choice of car, great choice of where to get one from. What sort of budget have you got? Have you seen the ones on carandclassic? Are you looking for something to use or a bit or a lot of a project?

Agreed. Be careful. I'm speaking from experience, it's far too easy to end up with something that's not actually your dream car. lol. You have to part with obscene amounts for a TRULY rust free car. Plenty of good'uns out there though mate. Just absorb the advice here.

Happy Hunting.

Matt

Thanks very much.

I think once all my bikes are gone I will be looking at 14k worst case. Getting married in September so my budgets fairly tight.

I'm not sure I would like something fairly tidy.

Kieran

That's what i was hoping you would say.

I think I will probably be looking to sell my bikes in March ready for someone to use in the summer.

Just not sure how to get one from the states, I need a middle man out there hahah.

14k will find you a nice one over here,you just have to be patient.some are priced more but wot they go for is any ones guess,its the same old argument,some people think their cars are worth more than they really are,just look on ebay at that pile of junk of a 260 with the wings missing

Welcome Kieran, glad to have you aboard.
As Johnny says go for the best shell. Mechanicals are easier to sort, Zeds are very easy to work on.

Fully restored 240, 20K plus. Fully restored 260 15k plus. Plenty of cars below these prices all dependant on condition.
Left hand drive project cars will need RHD conversion(If that's what you want) plus a good full paint job witch seam to be 4k upwards these days so price that in.

If you can find a car with a rebuilt motor and a bit of suspension work done, that will be great to get you out this summer and then save up for a paint job later.

Good luck with your search.

Matt

Thanks Matt,

Been looking at the cats at stoltz I think it is in the Netherlands p, they look fairly tidy , not sure if anyone on here has been or bought from them?

Other than that it looks like a car from the us or if one pops up here.

Driving lhd isn't a issue for me as I had a lhd golf rallye for a few years before my vx220 and never struggled here. Only on overtakes behind trucks.

Cheers

Kieran

Thanks Matt,

Been looking at the cats at stoltz I think it is in the Netherlands p, they look fairly tidy , not sure if anyone on here has been or bought from them?

Other than that it looks like a car from the us or if one pops up here.

Driving lhd isn't a issue for me as I had a lhd golf rallye for a few years before my vx220 and never struggled here. Only on overtakes behind trucks.

Cheers

Kieran

If you buy right you'll end up with a better car. Have you thought about just buying direct from the states?

If you buy right you'll end up with a better car. Have you thought about just buying direct from the states?

Thanks

Yeah ideally that's what I would like to do but don't have the first idea on how.

I have a few friends who have imported a Chevy nova and Chevy gasser drag car but they flew out and drove them to the ports etc

Thanks

Yeah ideally that's what I would like to do but don't have the first idea on how.

I have a few friends who have imported a Chevy nova and Chevy gasser drag car but they flew out and drove them to the ports etc

It seems daunting but quite straight forward. The worse part is that you just have to keep paying out with nothing to show.

As has been said before, do lots of homework on what you're buying. Models/specs/year to ensure that what you think you're buying is what you're getting.

I'm just about to get my car to the paint stage(next 3 months), I bought what I classed, well still class as a very good import, no rust to find on knocking around the car for the best part of half a day, however once I really go into it there was some to be found. I think its fair to say they've all got some if they've not been touched at 40+ years old so don't be totally put off if you do find some brown stuff.

Even though Its having an inside out/upside down paint and a couple of minor body bits done I'd still say it makes financial sense, also 'car' sense as I know it won't have to be done for the rest of my life time and I'll know exactly whats been done and to what standard.

There's lots of knowledge on here, It pays to use it.

Back