hey guys

snoopydoo

New Forum User
hey i finally got some time to sign up for the site. I have a 1982 280zx with a turbo motor from an 83 i believe since it has the p90a head with hydraulic lifters. The guy did a half ass swap by keeping the na computer, na harness, na distributor, na afm, and na fuel pump. I bought the car in october 2010 and it blew a headgasket in november 2010 so with the little money i had i got a headgasket set and redid the gaskets since it didnt overheat. well now i got a much better job getting paid a lot more and the car was running crappy b/c of a hole in the piston i found which happend about 3 weeks ago or so, so the car is sitting in my garage and im embarking on a total new build! I am going to be replacing every thing under that bay and in the motor. The head is at the machine shop now getting a valve job with new seals, new freeze plug, resurfaced all around and pressure tested and my exhaust manifold is also at the shop getting resurfaced. Next i will be sending the block to the shop b/c my piston in cylinder one has a hole in it by the wall and melted to the wall so im going to be boring the block .20 or .30 over with forged pistons, new rods, new crank with main and rod bearings and arp rod bolts, Already have arp headstuds/bolts, cleaned up the intake manifold and got rid of the egr stuff and got a custom fuel rail, have an adjustable fuel pressure regulator with gauge, new slotted and drilled rotors with new pads, theres to much stuff to really type so ill post some pics. the interior needs some work but im really focusing on the motor right now and im lucky the exterior is in such great shape! I will be needing to find a turbo distributor and harness unless i dont need a harness since ill be going with a megasquirt ecu for the build but im pretty sure i need a distributor. Heres some pics... i need to take some more of the car but havent gotten any time so ill post some more recent of the car. its the same color as these posted

Heres the blown headgasket
DSC04244.jpg

DSC04362.jpg

Gotta fill that little blemish in the back there but its not bad at all
DSC04361.jpg

DSC04363.jpg

DSC04368.jpg

DSC04369.jpg

stock intake manifold and after i cleaned it in a tank. not all back together yet got a 240sx throttle body im going to be putting on

IMG_2720.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

heres the fuel rail and the stock throttle body i cleaned up
IMG_0390.jpg

IMG_0385.jpg

intercooler im going to be running :)
IMG_0386.jpg

head coming off
photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

head and front cover off
DSC04414.jpg

and theres my problem!
photo.jpg

snoopydoo

New Forum User
just letting you guys know when you see the back end of the car and its says a&m texas..that was not me lol the other owner had put a bumper sticker on, painted and sealed over it and now i have to strip it to get it off might just get a new bumper since theres a lot of holes in it for some awful reason but yea im a longhorn fan lol oh and some extra info im only 20, work at subaru and had a nice 96 that i converted to a 2.2rs flat black and live in the austin tx area

M

madmarco

Welcome to the club! Nice build thread, good to see another Z being saved and made like new again.

snoopydoo

New Forum User
Thank you and yea im really excited to get this motor done right and brand new! im still kinda confused on the wiring for megasquirt so if anyone can chime in and give me a little better understanding and pics about it that would be so awesome! but yea my head and exhaust manifold should be done next week and ill be buying a engine stand to get the motor out and on so i can tear it down and get it ready for the machine shop as well! i will deff keep yall updated on all the news and parts :)

snoopydoo

New Forum User
thanks and yea i will! im just waiting on my freeze plugs to get here so they can hurry up and finish my head then ill be sending the block in in a couple weeks :) im still trying to figure out megasquirt and wiring and what not i think that will be the hardest part of the build but i know i can do it and hopefully can get some help from someone with experience with them :)