Help! - Funny gearstick sound

Tony 260Z

Club Member
Folks,

I've recently become aware of a high pitch whining sound when changing in and out of third gear, and tonight I discovered that it's when I rest my hand on the gearstick that it appears. It's worst in third, but it does it in fourth and maybe other gears too. Basically, while driving, if I exert any pressure (even light) on the gearstick - especially forwards or back - but don't depress the clutch to change gear, then I get a distinct buzzy/whiney sound.

What is this? Don't just say "keep your hands off the bloomin' gearstick" cos I'm sure I'm not the only person who rests their hand there :)

Is this buzzy/whiney noise telling me that my gearbox is about to go bang or is it just something loose or worn that I can change to cure the symptom
? The car's meant to be going to Le Mans in a couple of months and I'd prefer it not to spew broken gearbox bits on the way!

All help and advice very gladly received!

Tony

If you dont get it done Tony it will start to jump out of gear when you touch the gearstick,had the same problem with my old 260 gearbox,they aint cheap to repair but i know someone who repairs em,been doing it for nearly 30 years,or there is 2 alternatives,go to Le mans by coach.You know the other one,if you want my mates number then gis a shout

Tony 260Z said:
Don't just say "keep your hands off the bloomin' gearstick" cos I'm sure I'm not the only person who rests their hand there

Resting your hand there will cause extra stress and create wear (not sure exactly what but it does).

You should have both hands on the bloody wheel !!!!

Back