Hello with a question

Ninehigh

Well-Known Forum User
First of all hello good people of this forum :)

Now down to business, I have found a Z31 300 and I'd like to take it home and give it lots of lovely tlc until I can get it legally back on the road.

However I know it's been standing for 7 years (at least) and there's a hole in the front right wing and left door.

So is there anything I should do with the engine, besides oil+filters change before I try and start it, and am I able to get replacement panels (I think they could be welded, although they're beyond a bit of filler!)

Also before I click on the "post" button, I'd like to point out (as I have had to explain this everywhere else I've asked) that I'm aware I could get a decent and running model for around £1000-1500, and if I had that kind of money I would. It's also for a project so I'd like there to be some work that needs doing

Hiya ! Glad to see another Z31 being rescued, as it seems to be my lifes ambition at the moment :cool: Drain all the fuel, oil and the coolant checking each for contaminents,, download the ecu diagnostics ( available here on the site ) Expect leaking seals on the crank,transmission and diff if it has been sat that long, and go out and buy yourself a great big bag of patience ! :D If you need any specific help contact myself or the god of all datsun/nissan knowledge,, ( Mr F ) :thumbs:

They have an ECU? Maybe I'm giving 80's technology less credit than it deserves.

By contaminants I guess you mean water, "iron filings" anything else I should be looking for?

And a new set of oil seals too got it :)

Not really Nissan dependant, any vehicle thats sat for a long time will need ALL seals inspected as well as, unfortunately, most of the bearings :eek: Ball and to a lesser extent ,roller bearings dont like sitting still one little bit and on inspection you may well find the race has dimples in it . especially on the wheel bearings that are taking the weight of the vehicle. But as I said it doesnt need to be expensive just time and a bag of patience lol. :D:thumbs:

Sweet :)

What is the parts availability like? I imagine I could get bearings and the like from a standard parts place but what about bits like panels or roof seals?

Parts such as bearings , seals , and gaskets are available almost anywhere, body panels and certain body gaskets such rear hatch and targa seals are hard to come by,,, that is Mr F's territory though,,he's the fella to talk to about panels and such ! :driving:I know he stocks body kits and such for the Z31 however pm him on the site here regarding replacement panels and such :cheers:

Back