heavy steering

PAUL.KK

Forum User
can anybody help me steering has become heavy?every now and again it comes back to normal again!can any one tell me what this problem is and if it can be solved please reply asap

Hi,
Sounds like the speed sensor...I had this problem with my Z32, although the speedo didn't appear to be affected either.
Cheerz,
JEZ

If your car is an import then it could also be the speedo convertor behind the dash playing up. This is quite common on the Z32.

Gareth

Gareth B said:
If your car is an import then it could also be the speedo convertor behind the dash playing up. This is quite common on the Z32.

Gareth

Yes if you have a speedo convertor to MPH,the cheap nasty far east ones play up.I have replaced lots of these with my UK made speedo convertors.

Regards Luke.
Z Centre.

How Do I Find Out If It Is My Speedo Converter Or My Speedo Sensor In The Gearbox? Please I Need 2 Sort It Its Doin My Ed In!

go behind clocks.usually the delimiter is behind there.youll see that the middle plug has a wire joined to the delimiter.usually its yellow /blue.2nd wire up on the left when viewed from the back.bridge out the delimiter by joining up the original wires.if the problem persists then it rules out the delimiter.be warned the speedo will read in kmh.100=60mph.and the car chime will sound at 60mph.jap law requires this.also the car will splutter at 112mph.hope this helps.

also check this part.

my power steering would go heavy and smooth on odd occasions.

it turns out that i had a leak on the power steering pipe, the main one, you can find the part to replace here. it it a very common part to fail and gives exactly that feeling. mines due to be replaced next week. i found out what it was by looking underneath and the oil filter looked covered in fluid, also i looked up at the alternator and it was all over that also, i could see where it was coming from and it was that part.

http://conceptzperformance.com/Cart/description.php?II=670&Car_Type=NIS300&UID=2006040914301081.159.146.219

I had this problem, just unplug the electrical connector lead to the steering rack at the bottom, clean the terminals and all should be OK.

Ray

Probably the same thing as above, but check the connectors on the servopump that regulates the servo pressure.

On the other hand, I have got a heavy steering on my Z31. The servo pressure on my car is preset, and is not regulated by the speed. The steering is very sensitive on bumps, and I need to correct the direction all time. Any ideas anyone? Blocked pipes? Worn out steeringgear?

Back