Had front spoiler painted

RIDDLER

Well-Known Forum User
The front spoiler on my 260Z was looking a bit shabby so decided to get it professionally re-painted.

Wasn't sure exactly what original shade of grey it was supposed to be so tried to match the colour to my rear spoiler which is in very good condition.. In the end went for a Nissan grey on the recommendation of my bodywork guy.

He said it was a real pig to paint. It is made out of a rubbery kind of material. In places the top surface had worn away leaving a spongy under layer. This he had to treat before painting, and also remove all the silicons and polishes that had soaked into it over the years and to which the paint would never stick.

Then he had to add a plasticiser to the paint before applying it in order to make the paint flexible so it wouldn't crack if the spoiler flexed at all.

Pleased with the finished job - and delighted I didn't go with my first (cheaper) idea which was to buy a grey aerosol from Halfords and give it a good coating myself without proper preparation . . .

As you can see, the spoiler doesn't fit perfectly flush to the bodywork at the ends because it has been very slightly bent at some stage and when you try and straighten it, it causes a bulge somewhere else. But it is only a little bit out so I am not too bothered.

Attachments

• IMG_0429.JPG
    IMG_0429.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
Looks good but I thought they were originally unpainted black rubber?

No, got a 1978 brochure with front cover picture of a 260Z in the same maroon as mine and the front spoiler is definitely grey. Don't think mine had ever been repainted before which is why it had got so dull and shabby looking.

Looks good, shiny and tidy. I can't comment on the appropriateness of the grey shade as I haven't had the pleasure of owning a s30 with one before.

Back