Good solicitor....?

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
Hi Chaps,

So I was dismissed from my job today for, in my opinion, consistently voicing concerns over safety in the workshop and the safety and serviceability of the weapons that we/they manufacture. I was branded a trouble maker and promptly, my professional opinions were ignored. If it helps, I can provide proof of these infractions.

Just wondering if anyone here is, or has a friend who is a solicitor envolved with employment law?

Many thanks

Matt

P.S. Just to confirm, this isn't a whoa is me call for sympathy. Lol. Just after some free advice.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

datsfun

Club Member
Sorry to hear that. From what you say above, very strong grounds of "constructive dismissal" and a good brief would insist on wanting to see how these concerns were handled and resolved. My suggestion is to stick to a good employment lawyer and not just a high street lawyer who deals with employment issues as well as conveyancing etc etc. Good luck

Sean287

Well-Known Forum User
If the reason given for your dismissal is based on your health and safety comments then, regardless of length of service with the company, this is automatically categorised as "unfair dismissal". If you can prove that this is indeed why you have been dismissed then you have a fairly cast iron case.

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
Sadly they are without principle and would certainly never admit that this is the true reason. They are unable to give me a single example in support of their reasons, unlike the countless witnesses of mine that have heard me voicing concerns only to be ignored. I mean, we're talking about machine guns etc. 40,000PSI 6 inches from someones face but the deadline is more important than the integrity of the equipment. It's a joke. Although if they hadn't sacked me, I would have quit. I questioned the wisdom of dismissing me at this stage but they didn't get the hint. I know a lot more than they realise. tee hee.

Phil007

Club Member
Matt, you may already have dismissed this route but ...

Almost all solicitors practices will give you half an hour of free advice, just walk in and ask. There's no compulsion to take it any further. Depends what you want to know. They should be able to listen to your case and tell you whether they think it's strong or not.

But as this is employment law the most likely to give you and honest view is someone who works for or with a trade union, after all they deal with these sorts of cases all the time. They're the experts. Doesn't matter whether you're a member / don't like trade unions etc. If you give me an idea where you are I might be able to suggest a local firm that does that. The rules on who pays for the case and how much compensation you could get have been changed recently though and it's becoming more difficult to go to an employment tribunal. Course, you might want reinstatement, though it sounds like you were on the verge of leaving anyway.

Phil.

mattbibbey

Well-Known Forum User
Cheers Phil,

Yeah, my intention was to get a new job then leave but here I am. lol.

I think it's going to be ok, my friends wife used to work for ACAS and she is happy to help.

I may still explore some other options though, thanks

Matt