Flywheel / clutch plate sizes...

qunvat

Well-Known Forum User
Ta Mike for the clutch prices.....

One thing, I'm told by another Datsun club that my 280c engine has a standard clutch plate size of 225mm ... does that mean I HAVE to use a 225mm clutch or is it at all possible to use a 240mm one without changing the flywheel?

Ta, all new to me!, Si

The flywheel has a machined area matched to the size of the clutch friction disc and is tapped in the bolt pattern for the specific pressure plate.
So...240mm flywheel for the later clutch and 225mm flywheel for the earlier versions.
Recommend the upgrade if you are replacing the clutch - the right flywheel shouldn't be too hard to find or too expensive secondhand (or you could always go for the ACT / Fidanza set-up!).

Hello

Just upgrading on a 240

if you go to a 240mm, you may also require a corresponding clutch fork hub for the roller bearing

On the right for 225mm, on the left for 240mm :
butees-225-240mm.jpg

Regards

:S30:

Sylv1 said:
Hello

Just upgrading on a 240 if you go to a 240mm, you may also require a corresponding clutch fork hub for the roller bearing On the right for 225mm, on the left for 240mm :
Regards

:S30:

..ta mate this is all new to me!....there's a smell now after driving which could be another indicator of clutch demise??.......here's THE stupid question: Is there any way of telling wot size my flywheel is without taking the gear box out?......it's a prob for me as I cant do the work so have to employ a mechanic and wont be able to leave on his ramp til I source the relevant parts etc....(unless Wes does it!)

Si

i have a good used 240mm 9 bolt flywheel available. It has a good cover plate with it and a useable friction disc. Although if you are paying someone to do the job then I would suggest a new friction disc.
I also have the correct arm and collar to match as per Sylv 1 's pic.
£75 the lot + carriage.

When my 240 was being restored in the early 90's I had a heavy duty clutch fitted and on the box it said it would fit Land Rover and I think Ford Zepher amongst others.

Back