Fedup with paying professionals.

MaximG

Well-Known Forum User
So I've had a little project on the go where I would replace my R200 and go back to an R180 3.9. Picked the Diff up earlier this year with the intention of having it rebuilt so when I decide or get round to it, it would be ready to just pop it.

Got some seals and bits off Mike and dually dropped the Diff and parts to be rebuilt by what I would say are reputable people. They did work for me in the past with no problem so lest leave it at that. Now I will be totally honest that I said to them I'm in no hurry which I wasn't, this was around about Easter. I've dropped in a couple of times when passing to enquire on progress which was slow with various excuses but as I say not really a problem to me.

Roll forward to last week and I enquired again saying that I was off on the Wed just gone and would it be ready to pick up as to be honest I think they had had it long enough. They weren't able to finish by wed but I got a call Friday to say it was ready. I hotfooted over yesterday afternoon was relived of some money and upon getting it home I dumped it on the bench for inspection today Sat.

So everything looks ok... bit hard to tell anything from the outside. However one thing did arouse my interest and that was it seemed that the rear diff cover didn't have its gasket. It did have black mastic coming from round the joint in places however but I couldn't see the gasket that I had supplied. Tried to ring them but wasn't surprised that no one answered being midday on a Saturday.

Me being the inquisitive type I decided what the hell lets take the rear cover off, low and behold no gasket!!

Now to say I'm annoyed is an understatement because I'm now wondering if they did anything at all other than replace the oil seals that I supplied in the first place. I suppose now starts the whole saga of the blame game but in all honesty I just don't have the energy for it. Why cant people just do what they get paid for FFS. So I'll ring them on Tuesday and see what they have to say for themselves.

At this point its unfair to Name and Shame until I get their response. It may well be an innocent mistake and maybe the apprentice did it (I'm probably being generous).

Slightly Miffed Mike