experience with coils

H3nrY

Well-Known Forum User
When reinstalling my elec. coil after a repaint, one of the metal threads for the wires to be installed on broke off. (and I did not use much force)

Anyway, I´m on the lookout for a new coil. My car has got the 280z elec. distributor, and no ballast resistor.

I found this coil :

The Z Store! Nissan-Datsun 240Z-260Z-280Z-280ZX-300ZX(Z31/Z32)-350Z-370Z Parts: Crane PS-60 Nickel Plated Coil, 70-83 Z/ZX NT

I´m also seeing these E-core type coils. Does anyone know the difference and does it make any difference ?

73dattoDD

Forum User
try a few, more spark means loss of conductivity, youd be surprised at what an ingition module does. even set a rev limit so you dont have to change as many head gaskets. lol

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
H3nrY
If you have eliminated the ballast resistor then Just buy an off the shelf Bosch 12volt motorsport coil from any motorsports parts reseller for about 40 euros

Your not in the UK but people like Merlin Motorsport have them on the shelf

Used one for years before I went to a coil pack and throttle bodies.

73dattoDD
Not sure what you mean about head gaskets.

73dattoDD

Forum User
H3nrY
If you have eliminated the ballast resistor then Just buy an off the shelf Bosch 12volt motorsport coil from any motorsports parts reseller for about 40 euros

Your not in the UK but people like Merlin Motorsport have them on the shelf

Used one for years before I went to a coil pack and throttle bodies.

73dattoDD
Not sure what you mean about head gaskets.

limit your rpm's with an msd ingition control module, to a suitable rpm. besides over revs and blown headgaskets.

SKiddell

Well-Known Forum User
limit your rpm's with an msd ingition control module, to a suitable rpm. besides over revs and blown headgaskets.

Of course rev limiters are always a good idea but

Curious.....
I would be more worried about the bent valves, bent rods, impacted bearings, bent crank or broken springs than a £20 head gasket.
And no electronic rev limiter around can prevent an over rev condition from a downshift.

Anyway H3nry have you ordered your coil yet ?