Engine wont start

SRRAE

Well-Known Forum User
Firstly this engine has just been rebuilt and this is the first start up.

Every seems fine. ECU code is 55, (Which I believe is no errors) fuel is going in because I can smell it, but it doesnt seem to get a spark.

Is there a fuse which controls the coil packs, if so where is it? I checked all the fuses in the engine bay and they all seemed fine. Is there a fuse in the footwell which controls the coils?

Thanks

Stuart

No spark???? First thing to check back down the line is the PTU and its connections?

pmac said:
No spark???? First thing to check back down the line is the PTU and its connections?

yeah I already thought that and the connections to the PTU is fine, and I thought that would give an error PTU code?

If the engine has no spark then as stated the first port of call is to check the terminals on the ptu.just because you have no error code doesnt mean its not a connection fault.the management system on a z32 is very crude by todays standards.the spark is distributed by the cas unit sat on the n/s of the timing cover.this may also be at fault.

jimmer said:
If the engine has no spark then as stated the first port of call is to check the terminals on the ptu.just because you have no error code doesnt mean its not a connection fault.the management system on a z32 is very crude by todays standards.the spark is distributed by the cas unit sat on the n/s of the timing cover.this may also be at fault.

What is the best way of testing the CAS?

after youve checked its connections,mark its position on its housing and remove it.remove a coil pack and plug,turn the ignition on and turn the cas drive peg by hand.you should hear the injectors clicking and the plug should spark.if you do get a spark but once the cas is refitted the engine wont fire id check each injector and coil pack plug for security and connection.the injector terminals corrode badly and cause major problems when disturbed.

jimmer said:
after youve checked its connections,mark its position on its housing and remove it.remove a coil pack and plug,turn the ignition on and turn the cas drive peg by hand.you should hear the injectors clicking and the plug should spark.if you do get a spark but once the cas is refitted the engine wont fire id check each injector and coil pack plug for security and connection.the injector terminals corrode badly and cause major problems when disturbed.

I will try the CAS test next. The injectors are working, as I can smell the fuel after a few turns, and when I took out a spark plug to look it it, it was damp with fuel because of the attempts to start.

Are there any fuses which control the coil packs?

Hi Everyone,
Recently changed timing belt,car drove into garage fine,refitted new timing belt,then went to turn over to check all was well,but i do not seem to be able to start it now,we have checked fuel ,and it is ok,we then checked for spark,but there is none,the car is not fully assembled,as in all timing covers back on,i have put all the connections back and connected,but still no spark,question ?Do i need to assemble in full for car to start?or could it be a fuse or problem with alarm,it is jap import Z32,all information most wel come,

Many thanks

Gerry

is the car injecting fuel?

Take one of the plugs out and give it a good turning over, can you smell the fuel?

If so your cas is working.

If there is no spark. take the PTU off and give the connectors a good cleaning with some wet and dry, even if they look clean. Also look at the wire connectors which go on the ptu, give them a good spray with WD40 too and dry it off. see if any of the connectors are more open than they should be.

Back