Engine in Pics

John Dixon

Well-Known Forum User
Dummy sump fitted to test cleanance.
Final one will have a 'well' either side of subfarme for scavange pickup.

Attachments

• v8 008.JPG
    v8 008.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 137

John Dixon

Well-Known Forum User
Detail on mount - slightly over-engineered. Solid mounted obviously.

Attachments

• v8 009.JPG
    v8 009.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 125

John Dixon

Well-Known Forum User
Testing space for intakes.
Throttle bodies roughtly positioned and bend used to test space under bonnet. Idea is to have 8 runners with the 4 from each side crossing to an air box above the opposite rocker cover. Only had 90deg bends handy but drawn the idea on the 2nd pic.

Attachments

• v8 003.JPG
    v8 003.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 110
  • v8 003 MOD.JPG
    v8 003 MOD.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 108

Mr.G

Club Member
Good work John, 500ZX is definately coming........!

What ECU are you going to use to run this beast?

Black Bug

Well-Known Forum User
Nice work John!

That cross over runner/airbox set up is similar to the Cerbera 4.5 set up. Dunno whether tuning issues/theory would be that similar between the VH and AJP (flat plane crank) but most of the Cerbera tuners are ditching the long cross over pipes in favour of very short induction pipes.

Cheers,
Rob

John Dixon

Well-Known Forum User
Emerald M3DK-8 ECU to run everything.
Used hemholtz theory to calc runner length and came up with 29 or 14 or 12" as tuned lengths for 5000rpm. Should be similar to a cerb as the calc is really just a calc for how long the runner needs to be so that -ve reflection arrives at correct time, the firing order etc should make no difference.
Will try both on dyno anyway as you can never just go off the theory. I think most intakes are a compromise with what will fit under the bonnet TBH.

Mr.G

Club Member
That's excellent Jon, glad to hear there is more of us going with Emerald.

Have you purchased the ECU yet? I need to get mine at some point, mainly waiting for engine to be put together again. I wonder if there are others like us who are thinking about Emerald, a group buy on an Emerald M3D would be good!!

I have downloaded the operating manual and have started to try and plan on how to construct the loom, I've been told it's not hard but wiring is not my forte :(.... (Will be asking lots of questions on this forum in the following weeks..)

Last edited by a moderator:

John Dixon

Well-Known Forum User
MrG240Z said:
Have you purchased the ECU yet? I need to get mine at some point, mainly waiting for engine to be put together again. I wonder if there are others like us who are thinking about Emerald, a group buy on an Emerald M3D would be good!!
I have downloaded the operating manual and have started to try and plan on how to construct the loom, I've been told it's not hard but wiring is not my forte :(.... (Will be asking lots of questions on this forum in the following weeks..)

Yes, have ordered it already.
Operating is likely to change soon as there is a new version of the ECU's firmware coming out which will include loads of new features.
If I can help with the wiring give me a shout.

chunk

Im not normal
Club Member
Excellent stuff John!! :D

What can i say! Just hurry up and get it running so i can hear it at silly RPM :bow:

Speak soon bud

Rich