Electric PAS Pump

John Dixon

Well-Known Forum User
I'm trying to keep the belt driven ancillaries down to a minimum on the V8 for a couple of reasons. Firstly, it's a lot easier to wire things up than make brackets. Second, I'm trying to keep the length of the front pulley to a minimum for clearance and also because it'll cost less for pace to make it if it has less belt runs on it (hopefully) it'll be marginally lighter too which can't be a bad thing assuming the engine is balanced for it. The dry sump pump and alternator should be all there is hopefully.
Been looking at possibly using a Mk2 MR2 pump mounted where the HICAS solenoid used to be. Anyone have any experience using this pump or an alternative?
Was thinking if I feed the relay for it off the ECU fuel pump signal it should be ideal. One less thing to disconnect if I have to pull the engine too.

John Dixon said:
Anyone have any experience using this pump or an alternative?
No experience at all with fitting p/s as such, but I believe the fav remote electric pump is the one from a saxo/106 :santa:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SAXO-VTR-S-PUG-106-ELECTRIC-POWER-STEERING-PUMP-NEW-NR_W0QQitemZ4593201250QQcategoryZ10376QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

27_1_b.JPG

There is of course another form of power steering but I’ve yet to see how it might fit to a/my Zed ;)

Was thinking of this myself John-as a back up if for some reason the Chev pump won't work with the Z rack!
The pump I had in mind was the above off a Saxo!-nice little unit!;)

Hi i hope you come up with a solution to this, i thought about the saxo one but i havent had time to look into it yet, i would love to have a power rack back on my car

Will post up some results either good or bad then. Can't think of a reason why it shouldn't work but as ever won't know until I've tried it!

Hey, great thread! Very much interested in this myself, I have been looking into this for my 570Z S30. Although now with the LS1 small block on board the car feels lighter on the steering than it did with the L28, I feel that with the wider tread and less compliant tyres due to be fitted that this may change dramatically for the worse.

Being that I don't want to change the existing non-pwr rack I have been looking into other forms of electrical assist some of which add assistance directly to the steering column. Caught a couple of adverts in kit car magazines for MGF and a GM unit (900ss, don't have any MGF' or Vauxhalls with non hydraulic Pwr steering in the yard do you?:) ) which seem to be quite popular with the build your own boys.

Anyway be great to see how this turns out.

gav sbc said:
Hi i hope you come up with a solution to this, i thought about the saxo one but i havent had time to look into it yet, i would love to have a power rack back on my car
:confused: -you got no p/steering than bud!-I kept the oe rack and using a Chevy pump as said-couldn't do without it really LOL!

The electric joby, it looks like the solution for me
I didn't know about that kind of set up, cheers:cool:

Well, the EHPS pump from the Mk2 MR2 that I sourced for John has arrived...and here it is (I can almost hear the ooohs and aaahs :D ;)) Eventually found one from Hygrade Motor Spares Ltd, a Japanese breakers in Manchester. Not only were they thorough and very happy to help, despite the fact I put the order in at 3.30pm yesterday afternoon it arrived this morning. Next day, courier delivery on a heavy item at late notice for only a tenner is pretty good I reckon! Would definately use them again for any non-Z parts...in fact, if the pump works on Johns I'll be getting one for myself! :D

MR2Mk2EHPSPump002reduced.jpg

900ss said:
How much if you dont mind me askin ?

For those who are feeling lucky

Corsa 2 by the looks of it.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Corsa-Power-Steering-Column-Complete_W0QQitemZ4594399935QQcategoryZ10404QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
All in, including the "dreaded" and P&P: a couple of pence over £70. Not sure if it's a good or bad price TBH but John wanted it for this weekend so decided to go for it. If you know of any cheaper it would be good to know as if this works out there's going to be at least 3 other guys who'll be after one in the not too distant future (including myself! :)).

friday said:
All in, including the "dreaded" and P&P: a couple of pence over £70. Not sure if it's a good or bad price TBH but John wanted it for this weekend so decided to go for it.
Sounds a fair "all in" price to me.
But then it would do, esp as I isn't the one paying
rollwink.gif
laugh.gif

Back