Does anyone recognise this oil cooler kit?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Yes, it's a mixture of Datsun Competition (USA) and Nissan Sports Option (Japan) parts.

The filter take-off/cooler adapter was probably supplied by Datsun Comp in the USA. I have an identical one. The cooler itself is a Nihon Radiator (NichiRa) item which was made in Japan. The pair were probably supplied as a kit in the USA market via Datsun Competition.

Do bear in mind that the cooler take-off itself is not thermostatic. It runs oil through the cooler constantly. This is OK is hot countries, but may tend to over-cool the oil between start-up and normal running temps in UK weather. A better solution for a road car here in the UK is a thermostatically controlled take-off which won't let oil through the cooler until after it has reached a normal running temperature.

Nissan sold an oil cooler 'blind' - basically a jacket for the oil cooler - to use in cool weather. You had to take it off or put it on depending on the ambient temperature... Bit of a faff.

If you want to sell, I could give the whole kit a good home for a fair price?

DarrenM

Well-Known Forum User
Thank you for the information. Would this kit have been available in the Uk as it is a Uk car?

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
Thank you for the information. Would this kit have been available in the Uk as it is a Uk car?

Would have been available to the UK, as anyone could buy it if they had the wherewithall to source it. Probably bought & fitted later in the car's life though.

You find this kind of stuff knocking around all over the world really. It got around. I picked up my filter take-off/cooler adapter (same as yours) here in the UK, for example.

DarrenM

Well-Known Forum User
I will ask the previous owner when and where he got it, if he can remember that is, as he’s getting on a bit now!
I would expect it was in the 70’s.
Thanks for the feedback.

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I will ask the previous owner when and where he got it, if he can remember that is, as he’s getting on a bit now!
I would expect it was in the 70’s.
Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I would imagine it might have been within a couple of years of him getting the car.

He sounds like an interesting chap. I would try to get as much information about the car from him as you can. It's a rare survivor as a UK market HS30 in that colour.

I've got a few bits and pieces that might be useful to you in your restoration. Please don't hesitate to ask me if you get stuck for anything.

DarrenM

Well-Known Forum User
Yes, I would imagine it might have been within a couple of years of him getting the car.

He sounds like an interesting chap. I would try to get as much information about the car from him as you can. It's a rare survivor as a UK market HS30 in that colour.

I've got a few bits and pieces that might be useful to you in your restoration. Please don't hesitate to ask me if you get stuck for anything.
That’s very kind of you, thank you!
In the time I have owned the car I’m yet to see a UK 920 car advertised!

Last edited:

DarrenM

Well-Known Forum User
I called to see the previous owner after work today and he did remember buying the oil cooler from a dealer in Winsford, Cheshire. He confirmed it is new as he didn’t ever fit it!

Albrecht

Well-Known Forum User
I called to see the previous owner after work today and he did remember buying the oil cooler from a dealer in Winsford, Cheshire. He confirmed it is new as he didn’t ever fit it!

Wow. Never realised it wasn't actually ever fitted on the car.

In a way that's good, as the kit needs the oil filter bypass valve in the cylinder block to be removed and the hole plugged. If that hasn't been done on your engine block then it allows you to continue using the stock type oil filter.

As mentioned, I'd be very happy to be able to buy the kit from you (the engine I'm currently building has a drilled and plugged oil filter bypass valve) and I'd offer you what I think would be a very good price for it. I'll PM you if that's the best way to make the offer?

Even if you don't want to sell, it might give you a useful reference of what someone is willing to pay.