Diff Oil Leak

Zed2k

Well-Known Forum User
I have a oil leak coming from the rear plate that fits onto the diff unit, I have asked for a new gasket from Nissan but they say there isn't one do I have to just remove it clean the surfaces and reassemble or is there another method.
Anyone have any experience with this repair?
Thanks
Nick

MJP sells diff' back plate gaskets - certainly for R200's, so I would guess R180's too.
The back plate being the aluminium part of the diff' that the moustache bar bolts to and has the oil fill and drain plug in it as part of the assembly ?? (just to make sure I'm not getting my wires crossed).
Just clean off the old gasket on both contact surfaces, being careful not to gouge into the ally back plate. A small smear of good quality gasket sealant both sides of the gasket (also helps to hold it in place).
Don't forget to add some Molyslip with the fresh diff' oil.

The gasket is still available for the R200 diff., but the R180 gasket is out of production. Silicone sealer is fine - probably a decent higher temperature version would be wise. Don't use normal oil or Molyslip if you have a limited slip diff. package! Get the gear oil with LSD additive for this application.

Back