Custom rear fog (electronics) design

Russ

Club Member
I've come up with this midday plan of installing fog lights into the reflector of my reversing lights in my 300's centre panel. I'll get some photos of the panel later to see how feasible this is(n't) :D

Bored so here is my thinking...

The centre panel has two reflectors internally and two bulbs, which is kinda divided by appearance only from the outside into four lights. The bulbs are in the centre of the reflector.

Reflectors always look quite brittle so drilling it maybe fun, but I could use some of these led mounts, say 9 above and 9 below the actual reversing light, to mount them in through the back of the reflector.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx...o=2071&doy=11m2

Then maybe some very careful bending of led legs and heat shrink wrapping could do a tidy job?

Now I have two ideas for LEDS, 12v ones or these 2.5v jobbers.

5mm 8.5mA 14v max http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx...=35782&doy=11m2

10mm 30mA 2.5v max http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx...9&doy=11m2#spec

I know little about electronics so this might be a fun little project. I'm guessing I can use the superbright leds that are 2.5v max, and connect them in series I'll be ok.

So if I had 6 per side, so three 10mm above and below the reversing bulbs each side.
If each 6 had it's own feed they take a max of 15v (shouldn't go this high I hope)?

I'm not sure where I sit with figuring out what I need to do about fusing it. As a guess 30mA each x 6 = 0.18A
smile.gif

I'd like to control it all of the front foglight switch. I'm guessing the control side of things ultimately just operates a relay somewhere, so I could probably get it to fire two relays, an extra one being for my rear led fogs??

I'm not sure this is going to be bright enough for a foglight though. It says 30mcd at 12v typical, so that's 360mcd total brightness, which according to google is 0.36 candela (which I guess means .36 candel light brightness, and seeing as torches are rated in the tens of thousands....)....

hmmm!

I think I need to get a used (cracked?) centre panel to test this on.

Why not just buy an LED conversion bulb, comes as clear and uses the refector to colour. Comes straight as 21 watt equivelent? My guess would be spend your dosh and time on the 240........:rolleyes:

Why not just buy an LED conversion bulb, comes as clear and uses the refector to colour. Comes straight as 21 watt equivelent? My guess would be spend your dosh and time on the 240........:rolleyes:

Yep.. I agree.
FFS stop trying to re invent the wheel.:rolleyes:
Buy a red 21W bulb for the RHS
Job done.:D

Did you two even read my post? :p

The whole point is to keep the stock lighting set up and light configuration, whilst adding fog lights without bodging on another light either.

The 240 is waiting on a suitable garage to do the work in now :(

Did you two even read my post? :p

The whole point is to keep the stock lighting set up and light configuration, whilst adding fog lights without bodging on another light either.

The 240 is waiting on a suitable garage to do the work in now :(

erm, No, it wasn't worth reading.....:p

make a sign on a stick, saying FOG in big red letters, hey you could move it from car to car.....saves the hastle:rolleyes:

In the mean time if you sit back and look you can always find a job to do on the Z..:D
Now stop pi$$ balling about and go for it....:eek::D

Back