Cooler thermostats, what are the options?

MarkH

Well-Known Forum User
Hi,

Before I put my engine back in, I noticed the stock Nissan thermostat opens at 76.5 degrees, I know the Nismo opens at 62.

I was after something a few degrees cooler and not as extreme, are there any other choices?

How inefficient do you want your engine to be? Cool is not necessarily good. The 76.5 standard stat is already considerably under the temperature of earlier Z stats (82 - 88 degress)

Mark, Billion do one & it's about 1/2 the price of the Nismo too, think it was about 5C cooler than stock

I dont see how a thermostat which opens sooner can really help the cooling. It opens up a little sooner and with a normal cooling system, it wouldnt really help much.

The engine is warm when the temp is at 60ºC and having the thermostat opening at 62 you are running the risk of it making the engine too cold as it keeps opening and closing.

I dont see any problem with the Stock cooling system. Round town my temp has been sitting at 65ºC or so, and when traveling to Pod last Sunday it never went over 80ºC with an average speed of over 80mph.

Stuart

Back