coolant leak

surreyseagull

Well-Known Forum User
ive attached a pic with this.wanted to give the car a good warm up after replacing most of fuel hoses and leaks.after a few mins i noticed a bloody great puddle of water dripping from back of engine.
i got underneath and took this photo not great..seems theres a hole between clutch/gearbox housing?.
didnt expect to find water leaking here.can this hole be welded up??.
also im cleaning up inner wings down to bare metal.the little flap type section towards front of door,which i assume held mud flaps??.can this be cut off as it seems to not be doing much except gathering rust.
cheers as always.

Attachments

• DSC02601.JPG
    DSC02601.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 59
  • DSC02602.JPG
    DSC02602.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 53
Hi, There should not be any water at that end (as far as I know but someone might correct me). Are you sure it is not a heater hose as they run past the back of the engine and over the clutch housing before going through the bulk head. Just an idea but I'm not an expert on the 260Z

alright andy.no theres def a hole in what i assume is the gearbox housing.thats where the water was coming from..its defo water

well its hard to get into gear if thats any help..i put it in gear before staring it to get it out of garage and it moves with a jerk.if i turn ignition on i cant get it into gear from neutral.not sure if thats related.

If all the heater hoses are OK, then I would suspect that either the Core Plug at the back of the Cylinder Head or the one on the rear face of the Cylinder Block are weeping - not uncommon on a 35-year old Engine, but a bit of a Bu**er to remedy.

hi there rallyman.must admit that was going through my mind.eeek.just dont know where the hole at bottom has apeard from..it was driping then dripping lot more as i lifted front of car up.
how would i check core plugs?

The hole I think you will find is meant to be there for this very situation. It does unfortunately sound like the rear core plug in the back of the block. It will be an engine or gear box out job.

I had the same problem after rebuilding my engine. As part of the rebuild I replaced all the core plugs but the rear one is quite large. I didn't have a suitable drift of the right diameter to knock it in and just used the largest socket that fitted. Unfortunately it wasn't quite large enough so when I knocked it in it must have belled over slightly. I didn't find my mistake until after I had put the engine back in and stated to run it up. I then found coolant leaking out the very hole you describe. So engine out and I didn't make the same mistake again.

Mike

Oh and just thinking back I think you will also have to remove the flywheel as well.

As for the flaps under the wings, why not ask Mike if the mud flaps are stall available and just refit them when you put the wings back on.

Mike B

nice one cheers maxim.thats def whats happening.glad to know the holes meant to be there.although the engine out is going to be a major headache.
i guess as it didnt start for 13/14 years when it did it might of been too much for the plug after just sitting there..

Back