clutch/diff/propshaft

HOUSEQUAKE

Well-Known Forum User
...I have a questions...

I can hear a kind of gratey noise when sat at idle. Like something is turnig or spinning and catching the sides?

It seems to be coming from the rear of the car but it goes away when pressing down the clutch pedal :conf2:

Any ideas?

Whilst I'm on about it, I get a definite 'CLUNK' when changing up gears. Seems to be diff/drivetrain related, almost as if some slack is being taken up.

Is this normal or as I suspect, something on it's way out?

Your gearbox input shaft still turns even when you're in neutral with the clutch up so there is definite movement going on in the gearbox and as it goes away when you put the clutch in suggests it's gearbox related. Wouldn't worry about it unless there are other problems with the gearbox like crunching going in to gears etc., maybe a change of oil would be an idea?

Clunking from the rear is verrry common, can be one of many things, commonest are the front diff mount, half shaft U/J play or prop shaft U/Js. Ig you can get the car up on stands and grab and yank at various parts you might find the culprit. Could also be bearings in the diff but fingers crossed it'll be somethig simpler!

Cheers,
Rob

The whirring will most probabally be a dry / worn idler bearing. Unless you need to replace your clutch I'd live with it as you need to seperate engine & box which is an engine out job. I'd second Black Bug with his diagnosis and in the order mentioned. Why did Nissan use such a cr@p front diff mount??

Back