Car myths...

Markp.com

Well-Known Forum User
A few car myths I need clearing up...

Coasting: Does it save you petrol (yes, of course it does...) but if you're in gear and not doing anything else going along at 50mph would it burn the same amount of fuel as coasting would?

ah... I can't remember what the other thing was I wanted to ask... anyway... when I remember I'll post... :)

Yeh it does, only reason I know is a friend said they tried it on Topgear or something :) From what I heard it uses next to nothing, although that could be a urban (car) myth :)

Coasting will save you petrol... the engine will be idling when you coast and thus not revving..

Not a good idea though as you dont have full control of the vehicle.

I don't buy that, I'd like to hijack this this thread (I expect MarkP will ask the same) and say

"Why don't you have full control when coasting?"

Surely there no difference, I know my friend says his dads Dax Cobra thingy doesn't seem stable unless your braking or on the throttle.

Or does coasting mean out of gear as well as just throttle off?

and when you are out of gear you wont need to put your foot on the throttle, so the engine is just idling.. hence you save petrol but you are not in control of the car.

Yeah, I think that "total control" thing is bollocks... takes me a microsecond to slide the car into the appropriate gear, then drive on as normal...

Slamming on the anchors wouldn't be effected either, unless you're using engine breaking... but in an emergency, who the hell would do that?! :D

Your car will require less breaking effort if it was in gear then it would be in neutral.. The danger also arises if you need to get out of the way quickly and in that microsecond you might put your foot on the gas only to realise the gear stick is in neutral.

Hi,
Coasting in neutral on a steep downhill gradient isn't a good idea, as you lose the braking effect of the engine!
Whilst coasting out of gear at speed on the flat with your engine at idle speed can you be sure that you can get it back into the correct gear for your road speed!
Selecting 2nd instead of fourth or 1st instead of 3rd gear could cause your wheels to lock up and cause a nasty incident!
A local bloke was recently killed whilst coasting down a well known hill!....he was found hanging upside down from a tree, when he lost control and crashed!
Although it couldn't be proved 100% that he was coasting, several friends and colleagues stated that he usually coasted the vehicle on that section of road!
Cheerz,
JEZ

Well I just leave the car in the D gear and it makes its own mind up :) Its a bit dodgy when you're closing up behind the car in front, foot off the throttle and waiting for resistance to slow you and the bloody thing goes up a gear! You instantly lose any engine braking you had and shoot forward :)

Ok I like this thread Mark, next myth to solve...

JEZ300Z said:
Hi,
Coasting in neutral on a steep downhill gradient isn't a good idea, as you lose the braking effect of the engine!
Whilst coasting out of gear at speed on the flat with your engine at idle speed can you be sure that you can get it back into the correct gear for your road speed!
Selecting 2nd instead of fourth or 1st instead of 3rd gear could cause your wheels to lock up and cause a nasty incident!
A local bloke was recently killed whilst coasting down a well known hill!....he was found hanging upside down from a tree, when he lost control and crashed!
Although it couldn't be proved 100% that he was coasting, several friends and colleagues stated that he usually coasted the vehicle on that section of road!
Cheerz,
JEZ
Hahahaha pull the other one! :D I demand proof if this actually happened! :D

Yes, selecting the wrong gear is bad when coming back from coasting... but if you can't judge what gear you should be in, you shouldn't be driving in my opinion :)

So the next thing... :)

Which is more cost effective...

When safe to do so: breaking with brakes alone (just need to replace brake pads) or using enging braking (puts wear on clutch, gear box AND brakes)...

Also, when coming back into gear after costing does that put more wear on your clutch than normal, as you're changing at speed?

Maybe this thread should have been called costing myths! :D

I think we've all coasted (not out of gear necessarily but with the clutch pedal down) when we've had a "Good Lord, look how low my petrol is!" moment. I know I've done it on the M4 when I meant to fill up and forgot. I used power up the hills and coasted down 'em for about thirty miles!!!

TL

Hahahaha pull the other one! I demand proof if this actually happened!
Bizarre...but true story...:D

When safe to do so: breaking with brakes alone (just need to replace brake pads) or using enging braking (puts wear on clutch, gear box AND brakes)...

Hi,
Along with replacement brake pads you could include new discs too!...I've worn a few sets out over the years on different cars....Mind you, and gearboxes too! :D
I've always preferred changing down and using the engine's braking, but last year I read an article in a motoring magazine about this and they recommended using your brakes, 'cos they're cheaper to replace!
Now it depends on my mood and how fast I'm travelling!
Cheerz,
JEZ

Last edited by a moderator:
JEZ300Z said:
..last year I read an article in a motoring magazine about this and they recommended using your brakes, 'cos they're cheaper to replace!
You see!!! Someone needs to do a study or something! :D

Got another one for you... :)

Is it better for your MPG to drive behind a large lorry, in its "slipstream" if you will? :D

I went on a driver training course run by the local police many moons ago and their instructors said the same thing - brake using the brakes only 'cos pads are cheaper to replace than engines!

Back