Calling all V8 swappers!

mantav8

Well-Known Forum User
Sounds daft but who the hell are you insured with???
I can quotes but the figures are ridiculous!:confused:
Ta in advance!

zeeman1972

Well-Known Forum User
Uh-oh! How riduculous? :eek:

I haven't got mine insured for road use as yet, but was looking at costs in line with some of the modern similar engined yank motors I have owned, circa £350 ish. I was going to give Adrian S Flux a call to see what they would quote after I have tried the 'Modified Car' route with my existing classic car insurance company Lancaster Insurance.

mantav8

Well-Known Forum User
zeeman1972 said:
Uh-oh! How riduculous? :eek:

I haven't got mine insured for road use as yet, but was looking at costs in line with some of the modern similar engined yank motors I have owned, circa £350 ish. I was going to give Adrian S Flux a call to see what they would quote after I have tried the 'Modified Car' route with my existing classic car insurance company Lancaster Insurance.
PMSL!-don't bother with a.flux mate!-waste of space!:unsure:
I was thinking the £500 mark to be high!
A.Flux quoted £1300!-yeah! right!:p

zeeman1972

Well-Known Forum User
mantav8 said:
PMSL!-don't bother with a.flux mate!-waste of space!:unsure:
I was thinking the £500 mark to be high!
A.Flux quoted £1300!-yeah! right!:p

Cheers for the advice, I used Flux's 6 or 7 years ago and they were really competitive, obviously they have cashed in somewhat, £1300 holy crap!

Be interested to know what prices you find for future reference then, I best start saving some cash for that and the super high road tax!

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
Whoever you insure with will be very high - an S30 for example with a 500BHP V8 should run an 11 sec quarter with a terminal of 120, with slicks could get sub 11 seconds and a terminal of 128 / 129.

To put it into context, a new V10 BMW M5 will do it in 13.3 or 4. so will a V10 Lambo Gallardo both having a terminal of 115.

The difference here is that the Lambo and BMW have traction control, airbags, anti lock brakes etc and the 35 year old Z should beat them but has precious little in the way of "driver assistance and safety". Not a good bet for an insurer :D

That's the best bit of a 1971 car..... engine as BIG as you like but still no road tax :D

evtech

Well-Known Forum User
Insurance

Guys

Not a V8 swapper but I'm a modder of anything I buy to play with!!:devil:
Used Footman James (Birmingham) for my well modded Westy, that was road legal.
Currently got 'hold up' cover for the Zed, (£90) all I ever do is give them a detailed document of ALL mods, power, handling, safety, even bolt upgrades. Mines a 260 2+2 with minofish turbo conversion.

Used to pay £160 fully comp on the Westy (wife included) with agreed value, mileage restricted to 4k, also declared as raced.

With FJ my other club ( www.hdlcc.com ) also get a % of the premium paid by any members who sign up for cover, don't know if the Zed Club has anything like this, it can be quite lucrative to the club.

Regards
Nigel;)

mantav8

Well-Known Forum User
Thing is my Cobra was running a Rover V8 and was made of plastic!-used to pay £300 fully comp for that and was younger??
I know it's out there just got to find it!!:rolleyes: