Calculating UK Customs Duty on US parcels

Mr.G

Club Member
I wish to purchase some goods from a US company but firstly I want to know how much customs duty I will be charged when my package enters the UK.

I can't seem to find this information on the web, I know it must be there but have looked and it isn't very apparent.:conf2:

Does anyone know where I can look or a number i could call?

Thanks.

You sometimes get charged less that full VAT dependent on what it is, but I've never been that lucky. I'll give you my piston break down later which came in via ground mail.

Import duty is a complex subject filling many reference books - my first solo trial resulted in a 3" thick manual being thrust across the counter by a very stern customs officer with the implied instruction "Work it out for yourself...".

Duty at worst will be about 6.5%, but often less - different goods attract different rates. You will be charged VAT on value of goods + shipping cost + import duty, i.e. you will be charged tax on your tax. Such a fair system.

Little postal packages may get through unscathed, anything bigger will attract customs attention. Our postal system (Parcelfarce [sic]) will now hold your package on which payment is due and write to you asking for payment before they attempt delivery - really inefficient if you have paid for special delivery or a speedy service (two days from USA, four+ days in the UK waiting for their new system to deal with it).

Air freight and big packages will need special handling and the services of a clearing agent (more fees) who will calculate duty, VAT, airline handling, inland delivery etc. on your behalf. Companies like UPS, FedEx, DHL will do this for you (for a fee) and demand payment before releasing your goods. All adds to the cost of importing from anywhere...

Thanks guys for the help.

Seems like a very shady area still, will just bite the bullet and see what happens. I have experienced the Parcelfarce system, and been on hold on their telephone information line for ages. No getting round it I guess...

Bought some engine mounts from a chap in Canada last week had a letter this morning from Parcel Force telling me to pay total of 43.47 before i can pick up my goods 29.97 VAT and 13.50 Parcelforce Clearance fee if items are not payed after 20 days they will be returned to sender in Canada.
Parcelforce are unable to enter into disputes regarding Customs Charges

Vat is worked out by the cost of the Goods + shipping charges:conf2:

If you are being shafted £43.47 for bringing over some engine mounts then I am going to be well and truly screwed...:eek: :(

Vat is worked out by the cost of the Goods + shipping charges:conf2:

As noted above, cost of goods plus shipping becomes the value of the goods. Then work out import duty and add it on. Then charge VAT on everything. The £13.50 Parcelfarce charge probably includes an element of import duty.

Shipping in bulk with your own clearing agents is the only economic way, and even that isn't cheap. Rather than looking at US$ prices and dividing by 1.8** (or whatever the exchange rate), it is more realistic to tell yourself that it will equate to about £1.00 to $1.00.

You can only be a pirate or a smuggler so many times before they catch up with you!:cool:

Aye, Aye Captain...

Me smuggling days are over, it's my birthday tomorrow and as an old seadog now, it's time to lower me skull and crossbones... Argh Argh Argh

George, remind me when you see me at home to find out what I got charged for you..

www.mapcargo.com

I use these guys for large items from the States, they have a depot outside Heathrow which you can collect from if you want to save a bit of money. Very good on price and excellent service

For my pistons

Total value - $600
Import duty - £10.39
VAT - £62.43
Parcelforce clearance fee - £13.50

So on my $600 (inc shipping pistons) I paid our country £86.32 on top...

RIP OFF BRITAIN! :D

Don't you just love it! :)

Don't worry Russ that money will be well spent.. probably go to pay for some young offenders holiday or for their TV and DVD player for their bedroom.

From my experience in moving stuff back and forth from the US, trying to 'minimise' duty when importing from companies directly is next to impossible unless the company is small and is located in a state without heavy duty export/taxation laws and can therefore be willing to be flexible with the 'price'

Having family in the US does open up a whole different approach to importing parts which, using some common sense, can significantly reduce you liability to import duty quite legally:D

You must receive a lot of gifts from your family in the US, customs must think them very generous :)

All I need now is a man in the states! Shame we have nothing worth exporting in exchange :(

Yep :)

Parcel2Go were absolutely impossible to get a refund from when they took 48 days to deliver a parcel I paid next day for. I wouldn't use them, their customer services if you can get through to them put me off about a dozen times, and in the end I had to write to my credit card company!

I bought a set of new centerline wheels off e-bay US for about $340(£190) and the final cost was nearly £100 per wheel. Still cheap but not the bargain it first seams.

As Mike says, roughly $1 = £1. Cheapest way with no surprises is to get it through Mike.

Back