Brakes upgrade using Nissan bits

evtech

Well-Known Forum User
Well here we go folks a touch on the old theme, but I'm struggling to find a convincing answer, seen all the after market and Toyota threads but I've got a complete 280ZX (1981 ish) on me drive, motive is for the EFi'd L28 to go in mine with (or without my T3/4 blower, jury's out on this???????) So currently I have a set of vented front disc's and floating calipers with solid rear discs.

Anyone grafted these onto a 260/240 if so

?1. pitfalls, my brakes really don't alarm me currently, they do give a sensation a deceleration that is pleasing, but can I improve with the parts to hand, or just ebay the lot, and leave alone.

?2. other options on rotors with stock calipers.

I have no desire to rush this, but the rest of the car needs to go PDQ as Mrs E no like the view on front drive from windows that Mr E is yet to clean.....:D :D

Cheers

Nige

Hi Nige
I think most of the Z builders/restorers have tried playing about with 280zx brakes but never it came to anything. The route to take is either Toyota, Range Rover or the Wilwood coversion expensive but effective.

Fitting the 280ZX calipers to the front of an S30 is not really known as an upgrade, and the rear brakes on an S30 dont have much work to do so not sure if its worth the effort to fit the rears.

What you can do is fit the brake master cylinder which is a common mod.

What I have opted to do is to refresh my standard brakes and fit better pads then standard. (Also fit some braided lines which helps with pedal firmness).

Mike (MJP) also supplies some good pads from OZ which offer a better bite then the originals. The way I see it is that if the stock 240z brakes on Matt Banisters race car are good enough to stop him when he races at the HSCC races then they should be fine for me. Saying that a pair of Wilwoods are on my wish list... :)

Sorry to thread hijack Mike but I'm not sure we had the Maxima over here? Am I looking at similar period bluebird calipers or something?

Cheers

I've done the 280zx rear using bits rather than a kit. Went on ok, just routing the handbrake cable so it works efficiently.
There are some people going for the Dave Jarman rear set up, but considering some people say the rear drums are fine except for the most extreme use, I think the zx set up is just fine compromise. The choice I think is down to a personal one......

Ian

Ian, I think you have a very valid point there, many people have no intention of pushing the car to the point where the brakes begin to fail/fade etc, and for general sunny day touring, the stock system functions adequately (all being well).....and for little money the stock system can be made to perform much better....look at the HSCC cars, they have to use the stock system but they massively improve it with the choice of fluids and pads/shoes. ....

Regarding rear discs,
I'm using the DJ kit....I'm converting mine mainly to get a better more consistant handbrake but also as Datsun Dave says for asthetic looks (how crap do drums look on the back ehhh, its a sports car for goodness sake)

Just a simple tip for stock Z brakes - I have the high temp seals for caliper pistons in stock now. Resistant to HSCC race braking for more than ten laps! Standard seals can deteriorate from heat exposure very rapidly on the track with repeated heavy braking...

Cheers

Cheers Guy's Gals and Hyjacker's

I'm of the opion Datsuns where overbraked to start with (You'll know what I mean if you ever drove an early cabstar flat bed EMPTY!!!!!!!).

It's just the dam things on me drive, me welder, me grinder, me gas set and me newly aquired (at work:devil: ) plasma cutter are bored, I'm with Skiddy on the rear's, ;) and guess that's my route, disc's have it for me.

Will look at the master cylinder option.

Have been told that 350 disc's need a small reduction in o/d (1/4inch) and will fit fine with an adaptor, but BMW (sorry £5 in swear box) also gets close without outer reductions.

I'm in no rush as mine works fine as it is, and with hillclimbs they ain't really got chance to get warm, loton's only just over the min to the Z with one mother of a left hander after the main 'straight' nera the top, so I'll play it cool.

Will be egaying the surplus parts for the 280 unless you want anything straight off (or cut to a required angle :D :D :D :D :D ;) ) just call me.

Spyro's got the badges.

Cheers Folks

Nige

:S30: Mmmm tried to find the answer in the forum but cant seem to find what im looking for:conf2: just going to do the rear brakes on my 260 and was going with the maxima hangers from a 95 v6 car and 280zx callipers, but just wondering if the maxima callipers will work too:unsure: im using 280zx discs. any body have the answers??? or does none of these things work:conf2:

thanks martin

Back