boost gauge vacume pipe / aiv solonoid valve..fluttering noise

jayhangslow

Forum User
hi i have a few probs which i have tried to sort out by searching all forums for info etc but not having much luck, but have got an idea just need some advice before i go spending money where it's not needed etc etc...i appreciate any help cheers Jay
bowdown2.gif

fitted my new hks boost gauge today, but i got confused when it came to plumbing in the vacume hose, i teed it into the vac pipe from the fuel regulator thing to the aiv valve??? but got no momvement on my gauge so disconnected it
wall.gif
. where do i connect my pipe to? and do i have to put a 4mm filter between the connection and hks pressure regulator? or will it be ok without?

It looks the pipes to my nearside aiv have been messed with in the past, one has been blocked, dont know what it's for. ive put some pictures of what it looks like.
6d049d62.jpg

903546bd.jpg

(the pipe with the green band second from to is connected to the fuel regulator thingy)(the pipe coming form the tee at the bottom towards the screen is the pipe which has a screw in the end? i cant see where it goes)

And on the nearside of the plenum there is a hole blocked off with a screw in the side of it been silicond in, it doesnt look right.. see picture what is meant to be here?? (picture below)
876f894f.jpg

also i have a noticeable fluttering noise from my drivers side wing, i can hear it best if i give the throttle a blip and let foot off pedal its when revs are comin down..and ive got bad idle when warm sometimes stalls when coming to a stop or in traffic,but will fire up again first time no problem, bad fuel consumption 30 miles to £10....i have standard exhaust fitted with cats. any idea what this could be. aiv's maybe.

oh and how do i tell if its in safety boost?? as it's not running the same as before, hardly any boost, but still fast just doesnt get there as quick. sorry about all this but its been doing my head in for ages now and need some advice, before i end up bald......
wall.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
weird to disable aiv's if you have cats, sounds like somebody has done a dodgy job, get somebody else with a z32 and then copy the conections and refit.

300zxmarcus said:
Looks like your AIV's have been removed
is the aiv valve the part shown in my second picture?? the flutterign noise comes from inside drivers side wing?? i have done a search and all the removal procudyres are difficult to follow & pictures arent that clear.

The AIV valves are in the wheel arch behind the front wheels, you have to remove the inner arch cobers to get to them. normally they gurgle and people then remove them, mine were still in but the pipe that goes to the cats was disconnected (i have no cats) and not blocked up causing loss off boost pressure. A small leak in any of the connections can cause loss of boost pressure.

300zxmarcus said:
weird to disable aiv's if you have cats, sounds like somebody has done a dodgy job, get somebody else with a z32 and then copy the conections and refit.
Thats what i thought, looks like time to sort someoneelses dodgy workmanship again, if i can get my head round it...:eek: , i dont know anyone in my area with a zed... otherwise id do exactly what you suggested

300zxmarcus said:
The AIV valves are in the wheel arch behind the front wheels, you have to remove the inner arch cobers to get to them. normally they gurgle and people then remove them, mine were still in but the pipe that goes to the cats was disconnected (i have no cats) and not blocked up causing loss off boost pressure. A small leak in any of the connections can cause loss of boost pressure.
right ok thats where they are, my driver side flutters/gurrgles, then whats the unit in my second picture?? i thought that was the aiv, there is one on drivers side also, so if you lose boost pressure by leaving this pipe unblocked, why not block it?? thanks Jay:D

jayhangslow said:
right ok thats where they are, my driver side flutters/gurrgles, then whats the unit in my second picture?? i thought that was the aiv, there is one on drivers side also, so if you lose boost pressure by leaving this pipe unblocked, why not block it?? thanks Jay:D
im not 100% sure what that is maybe some sort of oil breather, that goes into the AIV's all i know is when i removed that pipe on mine it had oil residue in it. Mine pipe is still connected even without the aiv's. John Dixon would be a good person to speak to as he's and expert at removing bits from the zed that arnt needed and will know if this still needs to be connected.

sorry that reply was to the 3rd pic not the 2nd lol

It looks to me like someone has tried to remove the PRVR system on the car. It's hard to say without being able to see more, but the fuel pressure reg should be connected via the PRVR system to that blanked spigot on the plenum. Be VERY careful until you get it checked out, as if the FPR does not have an intake vac line connected properly it will lean out under boost.
If you're in doubt, run a line straight from it to a source on the intake.
Looks like at the minute it's running with no line having re-read your post a bit more carefully. It would be rich on idle, lean on boost.
It's worth removing the PRVR anyway, as it's pointless in this climate and can lead to problems.
For what it's worth, the line that goes into the inner wing goes via a one way valve to a small cannister that holds a quantity of air at max boost pressure. The solenoid then switches the pressure signal to the FPR between the cannister and the intake pressure ref depending on conditions (start / hot fuel = cannister Otherwise = intake).

Thanks John, i apprecite the insight into what some butcher has done to my zed, i think im gonna have a bash at sorting it today as long as the weather holds out..:(

I removed my AIV system & the rest of my PRVR system today i just finished an hour ago, it's not really that bad a job bit fiddly , but i had a little help from forum members here, thanks guys:D . plus i used this http://s95014253.onlinehome.us/63104/137858.html as a guide which i found to be very helpfull, the complete job took me around 2 hours 30 minutes, but then i spent 30 minutes doing the ecu setup coz i dissconnected the battery before i started. just took it for a spin and it does feel lots better, but i still have a bad idle.

hi jay,
boost gauges wont work when ran from a vacuum pipe.it needs boost to push the needle!!.most gauges take a signal by tee ing into the pipe feeding the wastegate on the turbo.follow pipe from wastegate.passenger side is the easiest to get on.the wastegate is open by boost from turbos to stop engine blowing up.your idle fault is probaly an air leak.the fitting on plenum with the screw bodged is where your spare pipe would go if im not mistaken.gurgling behind wings is caused by oil in the pipework
might be a good idea to change the pcv valves on the plenum.hope this helps
cheers mate

Back