battery,fuel pump or madness?

qunvat

Well-Known Forum User
..erm..this has happened a few times in the last few months and I've put it down to a not fully charged battery:

facet red top (the previous silver top did it as well..) does not start its comforting ticking noise, or quickly cuts out just after starting (or attempting to start) car.

Hitting it does restart the pump however!...but then it cuts out shortly after..I thought it may be a sticky solenoid but fully charging the battery cures it.

Until now.....winter = lights heater etc and it really did me hed in last week whilst out teaching!....BUT this time it's started doing it very soon after charging battery.

It reads 12.5 v engine off, charges at 14v with a bit of revving but then slips to 12.1 on tick over with lights and heater on.

Is it holding its charge I wonder?

am i talking out of my arrrrrrrrms

this internet connection is terrible.

help (again) Si

Does the car turn over at normal speed when you try to start it, regardless of what the pump is doing?

Russ said:
Does the car turn over at normal speed when you try to start it, regardless of what the pump is doing?

yes mate car drives normally until fuel runs out in carbs or pump is hit by me!.....or battery 100% I guess....

Si

status said:
if its yer battery si iv got one new £20,will have to come and get it though

flipps just arrived back from london not back that way til after xmas!!...

big/small Si

Drop test

Hi Si

Just read the post, have you had your battery tested? are all the cells full (assuming it's a servicable type) 12.1's a bit low, nip to someone like quickfit (spit!) or an auto electrical outlet, i think even halfords offer this service, and have a 'drop test' done, they apply a tester that effectivley shorts the battery out and records the discharge rate of the cells, unfortunatley most batteries tend to try and hibernate during the cold winter months, if it passes then the alternator could be causing you grief, they can either over charge and boil the battery dry or suck and discharge the bugger.

As for the fule pump, you do need a dam good earth for the facet, hard and tight to the chassis, even add a second earth, clean it's feet and check no paint etc on chassis.

Regards

Nigel

Tend to agree with the earthing theory. Check battery, pump and alternator. Also check the live feed to the pump.

right...in massive rush for work BUT:

this battery gives 12.4 volts to pump...its a lottery if it starts or not..

have fitted 2nd earth....still the same...

found old battery (from an old van I think!) with cold cranking of 590

its been sitting in my garage a year and its volts are higher (12.6) than one in car ..AND charges higher with engine running..(14.3)

...I'll see wot happens.....I'm guessing (here I go again) that not enough current (amps?) was/is getting into the facet to make it tick

Si

...OK fixed (...for how long!?!?!)...this is weird, I tried EVERYTHING believe me....and found the ONLY way to make it work was to mount upright as in pic.

...are they supposed to be like this cos my others worked any way up....Ade (Bristol Ade) did you find a simliar prob with it?

My head has totally gone.

Si xxx

Attachments

• pump this way up.JPG
    pump this way up.JPG
    303.7 KB · Views: 35
as I recall Si Facets are pushing pumps and must be mounted at the back near the tank and mounted vertically, so your fitment is wrong on two counts. Adrian

adrianfr said:
as I recall Si Facets are pushing pumps and must be mounted at the back near the tank and mounted vertically, so your fitment is wrong on two counts. Adrian

tried it at the back next to fuel gauge sender (vertical) worked for a while then kept cutting out....thought it was the earth....

then fixed it to engine bay on its side (horizontal).....worked for a while and then same symtoms again, recently......tried every which way to source the prob and hey presto, have just taken car on a run and this is the only way it'll work!

Maybe its just on its way out and will die soon....I know they can do that sometimes....very strange that it only works this way up.....its not just on the car this happens, off the car and connected to separate battery its the same thing!......works standing up but stutters when rested on its side....

Strange!...Si

I used to have an alarm clock that only went off when it was on its side :conf2:

What I'm saying is

If the thing has got loose bits inside that mean it will ony work in a certain orientation, it's likely it's on its way out!

I had same problem, when driving it would be fine then you would stop at lights or get home and would stop, reving would keep it going then I had a faulty earth at starter and would not crank sorted that fault. I never conected the fact that I have accidently repaird the fuel pump fault.

Thanks for all the replies fella's....

Yes after 3 days of testing it ONLY works that way up!

Madness personified.

Regards all, Si

Hi Si.
You could drive your car sideway's like oo7 in Diamonds are forever, or Dominic fratteroli In the club dvd!:D

Regards DJZ 60.

I've run out of black ink! using blue.:)

DJZ 60 said:
Hi Si.
You could drive your car sideway's like oo7 in Diamonds are forever, or Dominic fratteroli In the club dvd!:D

Regards DJZ 60.

I've run out of black ink! using blue.:)

hee hee yae!....BUT here we go:

Mounting upright completely cures the problem......until tonight!....its back....lots of rain + lights + hi fi...... it may be that the pump is simply on the way out. It cured it for a few weeks though....
May buy a new one and see if theres ANY difference.....or borrow one from ANYONE!?? for a few days to test....

Si

qunvat said:
hee hee yae!....BUT here we go:

Mounting upright completely cures the problem......until tonight!....its back....lots of rain + lights + hi fi...... it may be that the pump is simply on the way out. It cured it for a few weeks though....
May buy a new one and see if theres ANY difference.....or borrow one from ANYONE!?? for a few days to test....

Si
What carbs are you using? I run triple 40s with mechanical pump no probs. If you need electric pump try a 280 one, but they sit at the back straight after the tank.

Back