Bad news M25 users!!

AliK

Vehicle Dating Officer
Staff member
Club Member
Beware of the variable speed limit on the M25!! They were put there to improve the flow of traffic at peak times.

Well, my friend's wife got 3 points for doing 69mph while they were set to 60 at 01:30 in the morning on a completely empty motorway, without road works! Like the rest of us she was thinking they hadn't been switched off from earlier, which frequently is the case. Revenue generation or road safety? You decide!

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/m25-speed-cameras-surrey-now-8526615

Additionally the new cameras on the Kent / Surrey section especially between jcts 5-6 have now been switched on, are very stealthy and there are reports of people being done for going over 70 by however much (true? Who knows!) and they are average speed cameras. Cue cruise control set to just under 70 and lane hogging for fear of points.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-30841666

The joys of living in the South East!

Ali K

Anything with a red circle mate - I'm slowing down!

You get them on the M20, and they can say 30!! Everyone is whizzing past you and you're becoming more of a hazard than the people speeding!

Tricky situation!

Anything with a red circle mate - I'm slowing down!

You get them on the M20, and they can say 30!! Everyone is whizzing past you and you're becoming more of a hazard than the people speeding!

Tricky situation!

Yeah, agree, can be very hazardous when you try and slow down and no one else does :smash: have had it both ways, people throwing out anchors to slow down and mostly those that dont care.

The new cameras are very stealthy plus they are (currently) painted grey and about the size of a shoe box mpunted on a gantry at the side of the main gantry and one camera can span the entire road (HADECS 3) they have just installed them up at junction 26/27 on the M1, all "smart" motorways will have them very soon.

Several posts on forums have said thay are also average speed cameras but seeing as they have a "flash" I would suggest they are not.

BUT the speed guidelines for prosecution still apply .....10% + 2mph (ACPO) so even at an actual true 70 mph they will prosecute at 79 and above, any less and they are in contravention of the guidelines or descriminating.
Theres no indication that they are being used to inforce the NSL if the lane signs are off but I wouldnt trust them.

my friend's wife got 3 points for doing 69mph while they were set to 60
that would sit within the guidelines, a true 60 would prosecute at 68 mph (10% +2)

The joys of living in the South East!

The midlands and north are just as bad, check out the M42 around Birmingham, more cameras flashing than the Oscars night.
The M1 around Nottigham is peppered with them

Last edited by a moderator:
AndrewG said:
Help may be at hand

Hence my comment with "currently" in brackets
The new cameras are very stealthy plus they are (currently) painted grey

The advice given to me from a friend in the know was "if its a managed section of motorway anywhere.....use your cruise control"

I dont have t worry though as I never speed.

I suppose if the matrix sign's are illuminated with a bright red circle and a figure '60' showing, a large black and white image of a speed camera fixed to each gantry, a tolerance of 10% + 2mph being allowable there perhaps there isn't any reasonable real excuse for exceeding 68mph :confused:. Given the usual tolerance of speedometers (perhaps 4-6%) there may have been an actual dashboard display of almost 75mph:eek: at the time.

I suppose if the matrix sign's are illuminated with a bright red circle and a figure '60' showing, a large black and white image of a speed camera fixed to each gantry, a tolerance of 10% + 2mph being allowable there perhaps there isn't any reasonable real excuse for exceeding 68mph :confused:. Given the usual tolerance of speedometers (perhaps 4-6%) there may have been an actual dashboard display of almost 75mph:eek: at the time.

Agree with the logic but sadly an illuminated 40MPH the other night at 23:00 on what was a virtually empty non road works motorway for 10 miles had little to do with logic. :( Desperately frustrating though.

Ali K

Back