Another Auto Box Question

sparky

Forum User
Pls Help

I have noticed over the past few days that my autobox in Drive mode seems to be slipping (Does not acc that quick), but if I use the box as a manual ( selecting postion 1 then into 2 and so on ) the car seems to have more power to the rear wheels.

Does this mean that my box is on the way out. I have done a autobox test and no fault codes are showing up it says all clear.

I did think that the clutches within the box may be slipping but I would have thought that these would also slip when I use the box as I said above.

I just hope that it is not going to cost much if something is on its way out as I have just spent out on a new exhaust system, and just in case you are thinking the box was the same two days prior to fitting the exhaust.

Any help or ideas would be gratefuly recieved thanks
:rolleyes:

Mark

Hi. Sorry I can't answer your question but hope you can help me - how do you do an autobox test? Only had mine for 6 months but seem to think I may have same problem...

I have just checked the trans fluid and it is as clean as the day it went in, does not smell burnt and it does not have and bits in it.

I have disconected the ecu to reset it and the auto ecu to see if that makes any difference, because I did notice that when the box is in "D" the "POWER" light would come on when you acc hard, so it may be an electronic fault (hope).

I would just like to thank the people that have come back with ideas.

Cheers

Mark

It is normal for the power light to come on under hard acceleration even if not selected at the console switch.

Hi sparky,,look before you do anything ,,,read some of the topics in this section there are , quite a few pages of people with different problems with the auto matic box!!
Your Z is obviously a jap car , cause you have the "power" switch and light and this, like "MrF" said will come on when you plant your foot hard on the accelerator ,but also you can switch this on with the switch...you might have wear in the A/box or its a case of getting used to all the switches ,,,power ,,,hold and overdrive ,,they all change the way the A/box operates ,,,,,check these first ,,and know what they do !!!l:cool:
If the fluid does not have a burn`t smell that is good:D
Regular checks on that is a must!
But i`d still change it , if your not sure cause it cheaper to do , put some dexron in it "MrF" of MJP EASTERN AUTOS can help there , especiaaly if you did not change it before ,,,fresh start and all that,,,least then you will know,,,cheers!!!!

Its strange about the power light because I have had the car quite some time now and it is the first time that I have seen it come on when acc hard, unless I have not noticed it before as I am not looking for a problem.

If the torque converter was on its way out would it affect the box in what ever mode that you used it (i.e in "D" and when you use it as a manual 1,2,D)

I have reconected the ecu just need to wait for the rain to stop otherwise I shall be a slipping and a slidding :D

Cheers

Mark

Whats the mileage of your car?,,,,and after your test with the ecu reconection etc ,,,try it with the power mode switch "on" and see if that feels better when it changes ,,,ok let us know the results !!:cool:

Mileage on the car is about 80,000 jap import.

I test drove the car today and it did not seem any different, but it was ok using it as a manual (1,2,D) I think that I might change the trans fluid but I can't realy see this making a difference.

If the torque converter was not doing its job properly would I have the problem that I have got, but then again it would affect the box in whatever mode that I had it in.

Could it be the clutches within the box ? is there one for "D" Mode and different ones for manual opperation ??

I think that I may be clutching a straws (pardon the pun)

Mark

Did you drive it with the power switch on ?,,,,this may make a difference,,try that....[1]
,,,and is that 80000miles or kms,,,,or is it some kms and then converted to miles ,,,this would give an indication of wear etc ,,,,i can`t see it being the torque converter,,,,more likely ,,,elecrical or wear in the box ,,,,bands ,,,clutches etc,,,,how much slip are you saying its got ,,,,
[a] how are the o-60 times,,compare with data,,, find a steep hill and try it then it should really stand out if it is slipping,,,,where abouts are you located?,,,,

sorry loads of questions,just to be sure ,,,,

Bright side,,,,, most auto/gboxes loose gears ratios ,1st or 2nd,or won`t shift when in drive ,when they go wrong ,,,fluid usually smells burnt,,,but yours you said is not as bad ,so ,,,,before you start spending big money etc ,,,try the cheaper things first,,,like the fluid change ,but use a good one ,,not cheap stuff ,,,if it is slipping ,this is causing friction thus heat and this can destroy your g/box.

The box is controlled electrically so be sure all your connections are good ,,remove ,,clean,,refit ,,,not sure wear they are ,,,ask or look on the site,,,and after you have done all that and you are sure the transmission is slipping ,,,well then its garage time !!!
Give it a go ,,,,later.:cool:

Hi John

It is 80,000 miles

I am based in Hayes, Middlesex
I have not tried it in power mode yet and it is a good idea to find a hill/slope to test. Will change fluid this week sometime it may make a difference. I will do 0-60 times and compare results to others,

Will let you know how it goes

Cheers

Mark

Nice one mate ,,,and look i`m not far away,,,, and also i work in Bedfont ,,,behind Heathrow,,, so,, if you want to meet up , for another opinion ,let me know,,,,
,,,,,good luck:cool:

Thanks for that.

It may be an idea, I will do the list of things I need to try and I will get back to you.

I spent many a day in Bedfont I used to be a sales manager at the old Motorcycle City before I started my own business.

Cheers

Mark :)

Thats funny ,,cause i spent many a dinner time in there looking at bikes , trying to make my mind up ,,,i bought a "vmax" in the end , i know they don`t go round corners ,,,and most ly used for ploughing ,,,but i love them ,,,a true hotrod of a bike ,,,anyways ,,,later.....:D

Back