Am I wasting my time...!?

netpreference

Well-Known Forum User
Still looking for a 260z 2+2! I've posted in wanted ads and searched the Web but no joy....... Shall I give up and move onto something else!?

Don't give up

Hi sometimes it takes a while to find the right car how much are you looking to spend? there's a mint 2+2 on ebay going for about 6-7000 pounds it is alot but the car looks great. must be some nice examples around have you tried dare I say it the classic Z register they may have someone with one forsale. might be worth a try, keep the faith somewhere theres a Zed with your name on it.

Nick:)

I think the ebay one must have been sold? As I mentioned in my 'wanted' ad, I have up to 10k available. Would have thought that would have prompted at least 1 seller! :eek:

If you've got 10k then the bronze coloured one down in the west country could well be the one for you. It's on Autotrader at £9.5 and in mint condition.

Cheers,
Rob

All early Z cars can now in Britain be consiered to be rare cars. So finding a rare car to suit your budget(which is generous) was never going to be easy. No doubt you have already discovered that there are virtually no Z cars advertized in the monthly classic mags.
It also says something about the tenacity and dedication of many current owners of 260 2+2s that they remain unmoved by your generous offer.
I empathize with them as a 240Z owner, as even offering me an "over the odds" figure will not tempt me to part with my car.
If you want one then just keep looking , join the Z club, come to some shows ,meets etc. If your not that bothered then move on to something more common and good luck. Most of us wont be joining you.
Pity you dont want a 240Z as I am currently building a nice one that will fall into your price range!!!!

Black Bug, thanks for that, looks a really nice example... pmac, has to be a 260z I'm afraid! :) I appreciate your comments and I wasn't being flippant with the 'Shall I give up and move onto something else' comment, it was really a cry for help! I drive a Range Rover and the wife has just got herself a new X5 (part of the deal to allow my 260 purchase!) so the car will be purely a 'big boy toy' for the weekends etc. I've always admired them and always wanted one and I guess it's just fustrating not being able to buy one! I'm used to popping down the showroom and discussing what extras I'd like :)

I will keep trying!!

Pmac is right, keep hunting and keep patient. Your budget is good and they do crop up from time to time. The 260 2+2's have been a bit unloved (undeservedly) so are suddenly rarer. This will work against you, but with £10 available you are more likely to succeed!

Good Luck.

TL

HI,Net-pref. If I had 10k I would at least personally view the bronze one at the dealers.you could then decide to purchase or wait for another one. Bronze Z looks as if it requires little else spending on it. you could buy a cheaper one but then you would have to spend wads in making it up to spec. I purchased a cheaper Z and am continuously spending to get it how I want it. This way I know what,s been done and what needs doing.If I totalled how much I have spent I could have purchased a house!which would be difficult to drive around in at weekends!..................regards .......DJZ 60.

UPDATE!

Ok, I have just been offered a 260 2+2 in fairly poor condition. I don't mind spending the money on it but can anyone recommend a good garage in the South East to do the work?

Or should I hold out for an already restored car!?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm, it's all a matter of costs. You need to find out how much it will be to bring the poor car up to the standard you want it as opposed to buying a car in the condition you want. Usually it costs more to restore than you'll get back. That and parts are only going to get rarer and more expensive.

I'll leave it to the others in the know to recommend garages as I'm ooop north and pretty clueless in general ;)

Cheers,
Rob

Hold out, The japanese auto-extravaganza at Billing,is on the 24/25th july you will collectively see Z,s and you can compare them to any you may have already seen .This may help you in making a decision.There is also a good chance some will be up for sale.plus,lot,s of Z club crew to talk to.......however,If you are like me I would want one now! I think theres posts on recomended restorers on the forum........regards....DJZ 60. Leicester.

Just to counter the hold out points of view...

If you can say hand on heart "this car will only cost me, when finished, the same as an already tidy/mint one" then I would go for the fixer upper, save another Z from the scrap heap and you get to chose the colour :)

£10k should secure a nice one though from what I've read.

The problem for the immediate future, and some might say right now when undertaking a complete rebuild of a car in "poor condition" is parts supply. There are still plenty of "oily bits" around but supply of body panels and trim is now a serious issue that you need to consider and research before buying a "project".
Both Black Bug and DJZ 60 will tell you how difficult it now is to source what appear to be simple items like headlamp bowls.
There are many trim items available for 240Zs available in the US due mainly to Nissan USA's rebuild program. This is not the case with 2+2s.
Many of the present cars that are advertized as "restoration projects" are in truth just parts cars, IMHO.

Net Preference

there is a good looking 2+2 ?? in this weeks classic car weekly paper.

"DATSUN 260Z, 1978, superb condition, never used in winter, carefully maintained, long tax & MOT £4,500. 01568 780209 (ludlow)

The only caveat is the ad does not say its a 2+2 but having looked at the 1"x1" picture, I reckon its a 2+2 and not a 2str.

Good luck.

Hi,
If it's what you really want, keep looking and you'll find the right car in the end!
It usually takes me up to 12 months to find the right ZX!....I bought my current car through 'Motoring Loot' on-line, of all places!
Cheerz,
JEZ

Pmac, I agree. Parts are running dry,discontinued and unavailable.This applies to new and second hand bits & that,s why I have spares locked up in a swiss bank! In future we may have to use a bra for headlamp cones........DJZ 60.

Or we'll just have to start fabricating our own.

My plan is to build the tooling for inner front wings and then retire having sold a few :p

Back