alterator / dizzy wiring

qunvat

Well-Known Forum User
me again...

So I only got 11.7 volts going INTO the coil....I've looked around to see any spare live connectors I could use instead but to no avail....'owever I did remember reading here that someone wired the coil from the alternator's positive?.....here (at the alternator) I have 12.2 volts (with ignition on.)

Please tell me to try it or not to try it.

ta muchly...Si

...anyone?...Grolls you are da man here...Mike?..Ade?..Skid?....are you all watching a replay of Wales' BRILLIANT display against Brazil? (not)...gotta get some advice B4 I blow car up!

Cheers Si

Don't link it to the alternator - no need to be running loose cables all over your engine bay.
The power supply to coil +ve on the 260Z is colour coded black with white stripe (BW). In the case of conversion to 280ZX electronic distributor, this will arise from the BW wire emerging from the ballast resistor. Power into the ballast resistor would have been green with white stripe (GW). When the conversion was done, the two ballast resistor wires should have been securely joined together.
Find the join and make sure it is secure and that nothing about it (e.g. corrosion) is causing a resistance in the line. Check the voltage at the GW side of the joint. If good, then fix joint as necessary.
The supply passes through the C5 harness connector under the RH side of the dashboard (colour brown) - pull this apart and check voltage at the pin supplied by the GW wire from the ignition switch (ignition ON).
The voltage supplied here arises from the GW wire on the back of the ignition switch, i.e. it is ignition controlled, but also branches to supply the live feeds to the instrument illumination and other ignition controlled items. Check voltage at the ignition switch - the problem may be more deep-seated than just the coil supply....
If the voltage at the ignition switch output is also low, then check input side (permanent feed, won't need switch turned on), colour coded white with red stripe (WR). Perhaps the ignition switch itself is causing a slight increase in resistance?
WR arises (via the C5 connector again) from the fusible link boxes.

i loves you 2 innit (Cardiff accent) ...yes Steve 11.7 with engine off. Will check all above later cheers fella's!

Si

heyHo

12.2 volts at tick over.....checked all wires and cleaned...still 11.7 engine OFF but is the tick over volts enough?...the reason I ask is I keep getting badly fouled plugs but much more likely far too rich....

Cheers,Si

Back