300zx, how much??

Russ

Club Member
Hi,

Just curious, can anyone give me a rough estimate how much one of these would cost please?

300ZX TT SWB slicktop manual with leather and in quite tidy condition with say 60k or less... (in black!)

Many thanks

Get a SWB Russ!! There are no 2+2 slick tops, they are all Targas.

In Black!!!!! Are you a member of the Darkside???

no pressure here russ, buy the car thats right for you. dont go with the flow, break tradition if you so wish but the key is too enjoy and be happy whatever you buy! i should know i went to look at some very expensive p38 filled z's in my time and left pmwl.;)

Bear in mind that the car you are interested in was made from 1989 all the way up to 2000, so a fresh import could be only 4 -5 years old and still on its depresciation cylce. Most older Z32s have reached the bottom of their depreciation and price will depend more on condition and equipment options or, indeed, level and quality of modification. As such there is no "price guide". For an older example expect to pay up to £6000 for the best and as little as £1500 for the worst. Young examples will command up to £10,000 or maybe more. There are few guidelines as, due to the pressures of SVA testing on cars less than ten years old, the importers don't seem to be bothering much with the Z32.

If you wanted to take a trade risk, I recently had some data from the Liverpool Port Auctions which tabulates average sale prices for a variety of models, e.g.
1996 SWB manual NA £4200
1993 2+2 TT auto £3000
1990 2+2 TT auto from £2250 - £2600

These are trade auction prices straight off the boat without MOT, SVA, registration, plates etc. and "as seen". You would have about two hours to assess the cars on offer before bidding. Obviously the same cars prepared for sale would command significantly higher prices, but it might indicate that there are no bargains in the Z32 market. If a private individual is selling a car "cheap" there is likely to be a very good (and potentially expensive) reason.

Good luck mate!!

If you get a SWB TT Slicktop Manual in Black, I can think of a few peeps that would be jealous!!

I'll keep me eyes peeled for yer :D

Yeh well this caught my eye

5282seater300ttbilling-med.jpg

Looks very 350z ish to me, but I quite fancy a turbo'd car and 350s are still too expensive so this looks to be the best option.

Which I think is very nice, but I wouldn't want the expense of the wide arch kit and tubbed window. My housemate this year has a CRX VTEC which is fun so I am now tempted to buy a 300zx whilst I'm still young and have a mad jap car, instead of going the 240 route straight away.

Trouble is looking at zcentre prices nothing you want to do (99 spec lights etc) is going to be cheap so it's almost a choice between this car and a house deposit lol :D

I'd be very interested in importing myself, especially if I could buy two hours of one of the club experts time... ;) Would have to be tops spec, black leather etc as I don't mind waiting for the right one.

The dark side is tempting me...

Actually the leather wouldn't be essential as I've just seen this

vbgarage.php

Which looks to be well made. Shame it'd end up at best part of £600 to do :(

Also I see that you can buy a HICAS eliminator, if the swb has HICAS has anyone 'eliminated' it and did you notice the difference?

HICAS imparts a strange feel to the Z32 - I would liken it to an earlier ZX with worn crossmember bushes. The back end often seems out of step with the steering input, i.e. delayed action feeling. Also, on cars with increased horsepower, the delay in rear steering can lead to some spectacular "offs".

Currently I am selling replacement parts for worn out HICAS joints at quite a high rate, so figure on some potentially expensive repairs if you buy a car with a less than perfect system. Obviously, any wear accentuates the already strange back-end behaviour.
You might gather I would be a fan of HICAS elimination!

LOL yuck at the red, least the leather looks to fit the seats properly etc.

Mr.F: I had read something similar to what you say so I was a bit dubious. Thanks for your help.

Russ said:
Actually the leather wouldn't be essential as I've just seen this

http://www.300zx.co.uk/forum/vbgarage.php?do=getimage&id=21

Which looks to be well made. Shame it'd end up at best part of £600 to do :(

Also I see that you can buy a HICAS eliminator, if the swb has HICAS has anyone 'eliminated' it and did you notice the difference?
hehehe! Thats my mates car! That pic makes it more red than it really is!!

I'm in the middle of totally stripping my HICAS off, I'll keep you informed :D

chunk: Is the quality of the leather kit any good then? I know of a good trimmer but at about £800 per hide we won't get very far :D

Let us know how the conversion goes, if you're not too far in and fancy it you could photo and document the operation for our technical section/magazine! :)

looks like a pimps motor with the red !!!!!!!!!!! eeeewwww yuck!

LOL yuck at the red

Your joint comments on the Sarge's car are so wide of the mark as to be laughable.
I suggest you turn up a Santa Pod on Feb 20th and have a look at one of Britains best modified 300ZXs. Wall to wall quality in every way.
And I look forward to you telling SgT C to his face that he rides a pimps car!!!

Hi,
Yes they were the most sought after import car by drug dealers in the US according to an article a few years back!:D
Must say the black and red combination doesn't do anything for me either, but it's all down to personal taste.
There used to be a nice grey 300ZX with a tan interior for sale over on the 300ZX forum...that was gorgeous !
DSCF0056.JPG

http://www.300zx.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=5356
Again, the photos don't always due it justice, looks very orange in the photo!
Cheerz,
JEZ

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah Ha Nipper you are a closet 300ZX co. uk viewer!!!!!

Well i quite agree that mods are a personal thing mate. The Sarges leather is really a deep wine colour not too far away from the Alfa shade in reality. Looks really smart "in the hide"! and the quality is superb.

Sooooo... what else have you seen on" the other forum". You found me I suppose???

pmac said:
Your joint comments on the Sarge's car are so wide of the mark as to be laughable.

I suggest you turn up a Santa Pod on Feb 20th and have a look at one of Britains best modified 300ZXs. Wall to wall quality in every way.
And I look forward to you telling SgT C to his face that he rides a pimps car!!!
it may well be pmac, still doesn't change the fact i dont like it, but hey i know you dislike 2+2's am i bothered? nooooo. its all about personal taste bit like 240 left hookers :p

Pmac: I just scope out the competition from time to time that's all :) And was looking for SWB rides and 300zx.co.uk is full of them. If it's wine coloured then it probably looks three times better as you said.

If the quality is as good as you say then I'm going to save money and avoid going for a Z with worn 10yr+ old leather and get the retrim kit! My brother spent £1200 paying some well known car modding company to retrim his whole polo, and the seats are average and the door trims aren't acceptable so I'm a bit wary of aftermarket re-trims or seat covers etc.

Jez: That 300 looks very nice indeed. Even big rear wings are starting to grow on me. If you could get a leather kit to look like the 350z tan interior I'd be interested in that as well.

Back