280ZX Twin Turbo Motor in an S30 ??

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
C'mon,

Who is it ? :D We need to talk about body shape as we are going down the same route, could be an opportunity to collaborate and make life easier (and cheaper). I hear you have asked for the same stuff from the same place ............ but no names were given, just 280ZX Twin Turbo.

If you do not wish to publicly answer please PM me ......... TWO like the plan I have would be stonking....

Yokohama

Active Forum User
Why are you going twin-turbo? The fast spooling turbos of today make the twin-turbo systems kind of unnessary on an L6.

Last edited by a moderator:

Russ

Club Member
Twin turbos would receive a more 'pulsed' exhaust gas flow on a six cylinder, whereas with six cylinders feeding one turbo it'll be a lot smoother. The pulsing helps it spool up. Less of a difference on a four pot.

260Z TT

Club Member
I already have a pair of T3's on my 260Z. Are there others thinking of doing of the same setup out there? By the way, performance is amazing and very tractable too, being able to potter around town in 5th gear at 40mph is no problem!
Mark :devil:

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
Yokohama said:
Why are you going twin-turbo? The fast spooling turbos of today make the twin-turbo systems kind of unnessary on an L6.[/quote]

I'm not, if you check out my sig you will see I am putting a proper engine in :D sorry, couldn't resist, I know the L Series is proper. I am going V8, the engine is sat waiting to go in.

I probably did not make myself clear in the post, apologies for that - I am going down a certain route body wise and have been told that someone with a twin turbo S30 has asked for the same custom stuff from the same place ...... I was told twin turbo 280 engine but it may be a twin turbo 300zx engine, I don't know. Just wondered who it was so we could compare notes and make sure the mods we have both asked for go well.

Kind of friendly collaboration or co-opetition if you like :thumbs:

Yokohama

Active Forum User
From my point of view, I could never understand the V8 swap appeal; a V8 is out of character for a Z. If I were going to swap to something other than the L-series six, it would be a RB25DET or RB26DETT. The 25 would be easier.

Still, the L28ET with the right setup can do 350 BHP on stock internals and that is where I am going.

ZHead

Well-Known Forum User
Yokohama said:
From my point of view, I could never understand the V8 swap appeal; a V8 is out of character for a Z.

You are probably right, the character will change, however, if the conversion is done well I believe it will improve the character ... (PERSONAL VIEW ONLY).

Some people like revvy, screaming engines, some people like big torquey engines, I prefer the latter. I drive a twin turbo BMW diesel as my daily driver for that very reason, LOADS of grunt.

Each to their own, I love both but had to pick so picked V8.

VintageTech-Z

Well-Known Forum User
Russ, I'm guessing that this fellow is using the Z32 TT engine for his S30 swap ?
Its been done a few times here in the states with great smoothness. I rode in Greg Dupree's 280 Z with his TT and it was really fast with drag radials.
If the driver you search for was actually going for a TT on an L-series......he's in for a ton of fabrication for the exhaust manifold fitment and such. He'll be best off with a custom intake to make some more room below for all the needed piping to come.
But you probably didn't need to hear all that....you just want to meet the bloke,right ?lol.:cool:
Vinny